This position has a schedule of Monday - Friday; 7:00am - 3:30pm.
The Department of Facilities Services is responsible for the efficient and cost effective operations, maintenance and management of all Tufts University facilities consisting of approximately 5 million square feet of space on three campuses (Somerville/Medford, Grafton, and Boston).
A broad range of services are provided to support the University campuses including: facility maintenance by all trades, capital maintenance, information technology systems for operations (work control, time capture, preventative maintenance), energy and utilities systems, recycling and waste management, event services, residential facilities coordination, grounds maintenance and facility condition assessment and tracking. Facilities Services plays a critical role in planning for the $30M/year deferred maintenance investment.
Related functions, which require close coordination with this department, are public and environmental health and safety, planning, design and construction of capital and deferred maintenance projects including major repairs, renovation and new construction
What You'll Do
The Maintenance Mechanic II assists with repairs, maintenance and installations, in accordance with diagrams, operations manuals, manufacturer’s specifications and management oversight, on a variety of equipment including, but not limited to: refrigeration, air conditioning, electric motors, heating units, motor controllers, waste/supply lines, light commercial furnaces, boilers, burners, intake and exhaust fans, VAV boxes.
- The Maintenance Mechanic I also does light carpentry work and performs maintenance and repair work not requiring a license on HVAC, Plumbing and electrical systems.
- They routinely use hand tools, power tools and precision measuring and testing instruments in the performance of their duties.
- This position is considered essential as defined in the Tufts University Employee Handbook.
What We're Looking For
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the facilities industry, performing maintenance and light construction.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Valid US driver’s license.
- Must be physically able to meet all job requirements.
- Must maintain a professional appearance at all times and adhere to the University’s uniform policy.
- Must follow rules and regulations as described in the university and CBA Handbooks.
- Must be conscientious, adaptable and have the ability to communicate and work respectfully with co-employees, students, faculty and staff.
- Must have working knowledge of computers in a Windows environment including use of e-mail and similar technologies for communication and be adaptable to the use of portable technologies for the logging and tracking of work activities.
- Possess sound working knowledge of Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS).
- Must have good oral and written communications skills with the ability to read, write and comprehend the English language.
- Must possess good time management and organizational skills including the ability to multi-task, tactfully deal with unforeseen challenges and people and work well in a team setting with other technicians and trades professionals.
- Required to work indoors and outdoors in potentially cramped space, during inclement weather year round.
- Ability to read and comprehend construction drawings / blueprints.
- Five (7) years of experience in the facilities maintenance industry.
- Experience with computers for creating Word documents.
- Experience in the use Maximo CMMS system.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
Flexibility in work schedule required due to campus related emergencies, events occurring nights and weekends and special events such as matriculation and commencement.
Join Tufts University today to take advantage of our wonderful benefits package. In addition to various health, dental, and vision plans, employees enjoy generous time off, tuition remission, retirement plans with strong contributions, life insurance, long term disability, commuter benefits, and many other perks and discounts!