Cloud Computing and Security Systems Engineer 3 (7309U) 27366
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 13, 2019
Research IT provides research computing technologies, consulting, and community for the Berkeley campus. Our fundamental goal is to help campus faculty and students with their research by providing state of the art IT tools in a cost effective manner.. Research IT offers three core services to the campus. We provide research information technologies such as high performance computing (HPC), research data management, research application development, and data analysis tools. We offer consulting that ranges from grant proposal development, to data management plans, to strategic planning for campus services. Finally, Research IT works with campus centers, colleges, and other units to build collaborative communities of researchers and IT professionals. In short, Research IT's mission is to be a trusted partner to the campus research community. Research IT works in close partnership with the Vice Chancellor for Research Office and other campus technology services units such as Educational Technology Services, the Library, and D-Lab.
The Research IT unit is hiring a Cloud Computing and Security Systems Engineer to facilitate secure research computation and data management. This role will engage with researchers to understand their requirements and work with other Research IT, and campus IT staff to design and implement solutions. The Cloud Computing and Security Systems Engineer will work closely with two Research IT programs in particular: The Berkeley Research Computing program, which provides computing solutions and consulting to faculty across the campus, ranging from traditional high performance computing to cloud computing and virtualized workstations; and the Research Data Management program, which is a collaborative campus-wide initiative led jointly by Research IT and the Library, that supports researchers as they find, generate, store, share, and archive their data.
Involves providing a variety of IT services in a unit. Assignments may include applications programming development and maintenance, systems administration, consulting and end-user support, research systems and workflow analysis, secure or sensitive data and computing systems analysis and engineering, solutions integration, web applications development and/or maintenance, or a combination of these and/or other IT functions.
- Applies IT concepts to perform complex analyses and functions from multiple IT areas of specialization.
- Analyzes complex programs or formulates logic for new systems.
- Performs coding and tests/debugs complex programs.
- Develops conversion and system implementation plans.
- Prepares programming documentation.
- Maintains security configurations.
- Analyzes, installs, modifies and supports operating systems, database or utilities software.
- Analyzes business problems to be solved with automated systems.
- Analyzes and implements LAN and/or WAN system projects.
- May recommend changes in development, maintenance and system standards.
- May train users in conversion and implementation of system.
- Implements related business processes.
- Works on voice and data network assignments for large or complex systems.
- Knowledge of professional concepts.
- Knowledge of research computing, research data management, and data analysis workflows, technologies, tools and protocols.
- Experience with cloud computing platforms and tools including aws, hadoop, spark, etc, and with container technologies such as docker and/or singularity.
- Some experience with security controls for research projects working with restricted data.
- Familiarity with high performance computing (hpc) environments, job schedulers (slurm), and associated storage models.
- Some familiarity with some computational or data-intensive research methods.
- Knowledge of linux environments and filesystems (nfs, cifs, etc.)_
- Basic knowledge of network architecture.
- Skills necessary to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally.
- Strong interpersonal skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical personnel (especially faculty and graduate student researchers).
Salary & Benefits
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
The annual salary range of the position is $98,000 - $110,800, commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27366&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1