The University at Buffalo seeks an electrical engineer for designing electrical systems. The successful candidate will work with other professionals on the design and construction administration for renovations and new construction projects. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
- Preparing detailed drawings, contract specifications and equipment selection for construction and renovation projects. Design of various aspects of different electrical and mechanical systems for campus buildings. Designs will include, but not be limited to, work on secondary distribution systems for equipment power and lighting as well as low voltage control systems.
- Review, evaluate and provide professional input regarding electrical design documents prepared by outside consultants. This function includes verification that compatible electrical equipment was selected and that power services are adequate to support the electrical requirements of the program or facility.
- Investigate available electrical services and provides program requirements and preliminary design for use by outside engineering consultants of the State Construction Fund. Assist in the coordination of the construction process, which includes new construction, major alterations and system modifications. Must be able to identify and solve complex problems.
- Review customer requirements and prepare cost estimates of electrical and mechanical equipment replacements and modifications.
- Analyze the electrical power services to all three University campuses. Determine deficiencies in main power distribution system, emergency power, switchgear, low voltage distribution systems, motor controls and transformer systems.
- Interact with other staff University personnel to review and coordinate various types of projects, as well as participation in cross functional teams to provide practical solutions to design problems.
The University at Buffalo is SUNY’s largest and most comprehensive public research university and an outstanding place to work. University Facilities is responsible for:
- Maintaining existing facilities
- Campus planning
- Design and construction of renovations and new construction
- Establishing and overseeing safety programs and protocols for all University operations including: fire detection and suppression systems; construction and maintenance operations; hazardous and radioactive materials; and lab operations.
The successful candidate will work with a dedicated team that supports the University’s education and research missions. Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards inclufing comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuits, all in an effort to support your work and life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn more about UB’s benefits package.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Bachelor’s of Science degree in Electrical Engineering is required. A Professional Engineer (NYSPE) license is required.
Electrical design experience is required after receiving the NYSPE. Experience designing power and lighting distribution systems, electrical systems, and HVAC system controls in laboratory, educational or commercial building systems is desirable.
AutoCAD design experience is preferred. Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills. A focus on customer service is a requirement for this position.