The Small Animal Surgery Section provides high quality medical care to all small animal patients requiring surgery. In addition, this service supports a positive learning experience for Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University students during their small animal surgery rotation.
What You'll Do
This position qualifies for a $2,000 sign on bonus following successful completion of 6 months of employment for newly hired employees.
This position performs the work of a veterinary surgical nurse, assisting in every aspect of the surgery department including: patient preparation and sterile technique, O.R. set up/clean up and patient treatments (bandage changes, shock wave treatments). This position will assist the surgery faculty, residents and students in carrying out the treatment of clinical cases (outpatient & inpatient) and surgical cases (prepping, student teaching of proper surgical prep and sterile technique, setting up operating rooms, assisting & post-op medical management). Submit appropriate charges for services, instrument care (including time spent in central sterilization when needed and schedule allows), inventory control and stocking/cleaning the surgery suites and non-sterile surgery.
What We're Looking For
- Associate Degree in Veterinary Technology or a high school diploma (or the equivalent)
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in a fast paced veterinary hospital
- Understanding of medical terminology and familiarity with veterinary pharmacology.
- Demonstrated aptitude in technical abilities such as patient restraint, venipuncture and IV catheter placement
- Willingness to coach and train students
- Ability to effectively work as a member of a diverse team
- Pride in maintaining assigned areas in a hospital environment.
- Basic computer skills including the ability to learn the electronic medical record system as well as the radiation therapy software and hardware.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. with or without accommodation.
- Bachelors Degree from an accredited institution in Veterinary Technology or other animal biology related field plus two years related work experience
- Credentialed as a Certified Veterinary Technician
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
To support emergency surgical services, once trained an on-call rotation is required for this position. This position is considered essential and is therefore required to report to work during emergency campus closings.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer - minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity