Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is a university-wide service organization committed to delivering technology solutions in support of Tufts’ mission of teaching, learning, research, innovation, and sustainability. With staff across all of Tufts’ campuses, as well as a 24x7 IT Service Desk, we collaborate with schools and divisions to meet the demands of a global, mobile community. We promote a collaborative, flexible work environment, embrace diversity and inclusion, and encourage personal and professional development. Learn more about TTS on our website it.tufts.edu
What You'll Do
In close collaboration with the IT Experience and Engagement leadership team, the Manager of Desktop Engineering is responsible for strategic vison for the the design, implementation, and ongoing enhancement of end point management services and solutions for faculty, staff, and students. The manager will lead a small technical team of Desktop Engineers, Technical Analysts, and Infrastructure Engineers focused on improving the end user computing experience at Tufts. They will be the technical service owner for the following services: endpoint systems management, asset management, lab and shared computing environments, virtual desktop and virtual application services, remote assistance, endpoint backup, desktop OS patch and migration management, desktop software packaging and distribution management. The position will also be primarily responsible for project management of yearly computer replacement programs across all three campuses.
What We're Looking For
Minimum Required Experience, Education, Background, And Certifications/Licenses
• Knowledge and and experience typically acquired through a Bachelor’s degree, 5+ years of progressive management experience, and 5 years of experience in the direct delivery of IT support to end users, or High School diploma and 7+ years industry experience
• 5-7 years of experience managing end user computing services
• 3 years of project management experience, preferably for a large-scale deployment such as computer replacements
• 2 years of experience configuring and supporting a virtual desktop/application platform (e.g. VMWare, Citrix)
• Expert-level system administration skills for at least one major endpoint systems management platform (e.g., Microsoft Intune, Microsoft SCCM/MECM, JAMF Pro/Casper.)
• Ability and desire to develop and deliver technical documentation and training for solutions
• Experience designing and supporting end user computing solutions for a mixed environment with both Mac and Windows.
• Experience with Active Directory administration
• Experience administering and supporting of endpoint security solutions (antivirus, malware, data protection, encryption)
• Expert technical knowledge of desktop/laptop hardware, especially from Lenovo, Dell, and Apple
• Advanced expertise with Windows/Apple scripting, application packaging, automation, and imaging tools
• Strong track-record of exemplifying customer service excellence and accountability/ownership for the total customer experience while influencing others to raise their level of customer service.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills
• Working knowledge of client-level network configurations and protocols (DNS, DHCP, TCPIP)
• Experience using Asset Management to drive strategic deployment and sourcing
• Certification in 1 or more of the following: ACMT, ACSA (Mac workstation, Mac server), MCITP, MCSA (Windows workstation, Windows Server)
Additional Preferred Experience, Education, etc.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, MIS, or related field
• Background in higher-education and/or large corporate environments desirable, as are industry-standard hardware/software certifications (i.e. Microsoft, Apple, A+)
• Strong technical knowledge of mobile devices, including hardware, software, and network components
• Experience administering remote assistance platforms (e.g. Bomgar)
• Demonstrated ability to use data and analysis for ongoing service improvements, automation, and cost reduction
• Experience using ITIL-based IT service management processes and best practices for service lifecycle management
• Experience administering Remote Support enterprise tool
• Experience managing scripting teams (PowerShell, VBScript, AppleScript, etc.)