Chief Information Technology Officer
Academic Career & Executive Search is assisting Presentation College with a search for Chief Information Technology Officer.
Presentation College in Aberdeen, South Dakota, is seeking a Chief Information Technology Officer who has a strong foundation and significant experience in database management to lead and integrate the shared IT systems of a small private Catholic college in the upper Midwest. The successful individual will report to the President of the College, will lead the institutional technology planning and supervise the information technology department and all educational technology as well as manage the multiple databases of the College. This individual is responsible for innovation and the operation of technical infrastructures and applications across the enterprise, overseeing system-wide planning, development, implementation, coordination, and technical support of Presentation IT functions. This position will lead strategic initiatives that support an effective, coordinated, and efficient technology environment for the campus and online for PC Virtual. The Chief Information Technology Officer will report to the Vice President for Student Affairs concerning the daily operational activities of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities for Leadership & Database Management
1. Provides leadership and direction in the management and operation of shared information services and engages with staff in problem resolution, process redesign, and technical support as related to systems and best-practices; teaches, trains, and lead for successful implementation of systems.
2. Leads, guides, and oversees the IT budgeting process, and cost and productivity analysis.
3. Leads the process of determining the priorities and future directions of the College’s information technology functions; provides direction and leadership in the review of present IT systems and in the formulation of new and revised systems and provides effective leadership and vision in the planning and implementation of new technologies to enhance or replace the College’s ERP and related systems.
4. Integrates and coordinates the implementation of information technology programs to achieve maximum efficiencies and synergies;
5. Collaborates with fundraising staff in the planning and development of strategies for generating revenues for information technology.
6. Maintains knowledge and understanding of current and developing information systems technology, equipment, and systems; maintains professional contacts with other colleges, equipment manufacturers, and professional organizations concerning existing and developing information technologies with a focus on operational stability, timeliness, attention to detail and customer needs.
7. Stays abreast of emerging information technologies and remains highly technically competent. Assess industry direction and analyze new capabilities that may be applied to the college.
8. Maintains the availability and integrity of databases; and defines, develops, and drives strategies, plans, policies and procedures to ensure that the data systems remain operational and meet business operational needs.
9. Consults with and advises clientele on the use and interpretation of data; collaborates as appropriate with clientele in the structuring and development of data requirements.
10. Addresses a variety of data integration issues including migration of data between disparate databases, reporting integration, maintenance, conversion, capacity planning issues and new data reporting applications for various databases.
11. Ensures that any new data system meets functional end user requirements, compliance and interface specifications, and that proper documentation is maintained. Defines functional data requirements and documents all business processes.
12. Develops effective test scenarios to discover and resolve defects, bugs, errors, configuration issues and interoperability flaws.
13. Collaborates and coordinates with IT director on application setup, configuration and maintenance.
14. Facilitates the sharing of common data by ensuring that each data set has proper key and index management and ensures the data dictionary is maintained.
15. May evaluate and recommend the testing and evaluation of new procedures, software, and hardware to allow for continuous adaptation of the program to meet ongoing needs.
16. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community and foster a cooperative work environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of the current and developing strategic information requirements of a College.
- Skill in budget preparation and in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Knowledge and understanding of the academic, administrative, and information systems environment of a College.
- Ability to develop requests for and evaluate proposals for leading-edge information services technology and to provide strategic guidance and counsel to clientele in the assessment and development of existing and/or proposed systems.
- Ability to interpret data models and to develop database structures including database construction, management, and retrieval methods as well as provide technical guidance and leadership to professional personnel in data management, data integrity and database design.
- Ability to analyze operational data requirements and to create and develop databases specific to requirements.
- Ability to develop and manipulate large, complex data sets and to design and implement systems necessary to collect, maintain and analyze data.
- Ability to resolve data input, storage and/or retrieval problems and to work with IT staff to design solutions and modifications.
- Ability to coordinate the implementation, testing and troubleshooting of database changes and modifications.
- Ability to provide a range of training and/or support activities for users.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in appropriate field required with at least 10 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Working knowledge of higher education standard applications programming languages and specifically student records software, cloud-based fundraising and donor management software, cloud-based financial software, AP/AR/Payroll systems, Microsoft Office, and SQL data base are important to this position.
- APP development for mobile use.
- A minimum of 10 years of work experience managing computing resources including experience with the design and maintenance of multi-vendor computing environment and strong database management is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of comprehensive experience involving project management, planning, cost estimating, and budget oversight and development, and including email, internet, word processing, and spreadsheets is required.
- Working knowledge of database administration and relational databases
- Strong SQL programming experience required
- Masters degree
- Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge experience
- Blackbaud Financial Edge software
- Preferred certifications in SQL, Microsoft
- Preferred certifications in SQL, Microsoft, database management
- Work experience in a higher education environment is preferred.
About Presentation College:
Founded in 1951 in Aberdeen, South Dakota, Presentation College (PC) focuses on career- directed undergraduate and graduate programs of study in three academic divisions: Health and Natural Science, Nursing, and Social Science and Humanities. Students are part of a diversified higher education experience with emphasis on critical thinking, analytical reasoning, problem-solving, and effective communication skills. Presentation College is a faith-based institution in the Catholic tradition.
Presentation College has been continuously accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and School since 1971. Academic discipline-specific national accreditations include: Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs, Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education, International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education, and Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology.
The College has undergone significant improvements over the past several years. The most recent, in 2017, a new $1.5 million health professions simulation center. This facility revolutionizes how PC healthcare majors learn to provide high quality patient care.
Living in Aberdeen, South Dakota:
The third largest city in South Dakota, Aberdeen offers undeniable beauty in a town small enough to know your neighbors but large enough to offer all the amenities and resources of a small city. Aberdeen has numerous restaurants, shopping, amusement parks and theaters. Miles of outdoor trails, parks, golf courses and sports complexes provide everything for the outdoor enthusiast. Considered a college town, Aberdeen is home to Presentation College and Northern State University.
The area offers a friendly Midwestern feel with the added benefits of low unemployment and crime rates, no state income tax and a median home price of $150,000. The area boasts 199 sunny days per year with highs in July of 84 and lows in January of 2. Within the city is the airport making travel extremely convenient.
Aberdeen is an ideal place to live and raise a family with good school systems and many parks available.
Presentation College is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should include a cover letter and CV. Please apply directly at: https://acesrch.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a21esjy5fdb9
Inquiries, referrals and nominations are treated confidentially and can be sent to Jennifer Muller at Academic Career & Executive Search: Jennifer@ACESrch.com.