Staff Research Associate (9613C) Job 8513 - PRC
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 6/30/20
The University of California Pavement Research Center carries out leading-edge research on a wide range of pavement-related issues. With facilities at both UC Davis and UC Berkeley, the UCPRC provides field and laboratory data, analysis, tools, recommendations, and knowledge to practitioners and decision-makers that include Caltrans, FHWA, FAA, CalRecycle, CARB, and local governments in the areas of:
- Environmental impacts of pavements
- Pavement asset management
- Pavement design, materials selection, and construction qualityThe Staff Associate Researcher will contribute engineering, technical and organizational assistance to the operation of the Materials Laboratory of the UC Pavement Research Center located in Richmond, CA. The Center researches the design, construction, maintenance and rehabilitation of pavements. Experiments include analyses of component materials, design structures, and new ways of testing materials, including the use of prototype equipment. This position will learn and apply proficiency in standard laboratory practices as well as AASHTO and Caltrans procedures to test pavement materials and fabricate pavement specimens.
100% Duties will include:
- Preparing concrete and asphalt laboratory samples and specimens according to experimental protocols.
- Maintaining inventories of materials and specimens and performing quality checks.
- Under direct supervision, the position may assist in engineering and mathematical analysis of experimental data, using spreadsheets and statistical software.
- Field sampling and testing of pavements and pavement materials.
- The position is expected to learn and apply safe laboratory and shop practices.
- Will work independently after training and may lead student employees.
*Must have an undergraduate degree or equivalent experience, preferably in civil engineering.*Familiarity with equipment in a laboratory setting.*Cooperative, highly motivated and team-oriented individual with strong organizational and problem-solving skills, attention to detail and thoroughness in work product, who will keep industry-standard records.*Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups of faculty, staff, students, researchers (both domestic & international), and industrial partners while demonstrating tact and diplomacy are also necessary as the job will require working in a group environment with frequent interruptions.*Proven ability to take initiative in implementing, maintaining, and improving lab and office operations.*Proven ability to use sound judgment in responding to issues and concerns.*The capability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.*Excellent oral and written communication skills.*Excellent work ethic.*Proficiency in MS Word and MS Excel.*Willingness to learn new laboratory techniques and procedures is essential.*The candidate must adhere to all campus and EH&S safety policies.
*B.S. or above in Civil Engineering, or a related field.*Previous experience managing multiple projects minimum of one year.*Experience in managing databases.*General knowledge of UC system as well as of University policies and procedures.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
- The hourly salary range designated for this position: $22.50
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=8513&PostingSeq=1