The Department of Pathobiology at the College of Veterinary Medicine is seeking candidates for a Research Assistant position, responsible for will working in one of the Virology Research Laboratories, and will be involved in several extramurally funded projects investigating the prevalence, pathogenesis, and evolution of animal and zoonotic viruses.
The Research Assistant will assist researchers in planning, maintaining or completing research programs and/or projects involved in the discovery of new knowledge, techniques, and concepts that require fundamental scientific/research knowledge, skills, and abilities following relevant policies, procedures, regulations, and laws.
At Auburn, our work changes lives. Learn more about Auburn’s impact, as well as generous employee benefits and opportunities by visiting aub.ie/working-at-auburn.
1. Assists in the development of project proposals, plans and protocols.
2. Conducts routine or fundamental experiments, investigations and/or studies related to programs and projects in pursuit of new knowledge, techniques and concepts. These will include: basic molecular biology tests and experiments, such as qRT-PCR, PCR, transformations, DNA, RNA extractions and cloning, next generation sequencing, cellular and immunologic assays according to standard operating procedures.
3. Assists with logistical considerations to include equipment, materials, and labor needs.
4. Collects data/samples related to others’ research and in routine cases.
5. Records, compiles, processes and analyzes data/samples.
6. Documents results and observations in writing as well as presenting results to others.
7. May assist in the preparation of research results for publication or presentation at conferences to include assisting in literature reviews and assisting in the writing of results and discussions.
8. May instruct students and/or supervise others’ research in area of expertise.