Payroll Specialist II
The Primary function of this position is to update, edit, and maintain the payroll information required to properly pay the employees at Northern Illinois University. This position is primarily responsible for the data of the hourly paid employees but is crossed trained and also assists with the salaried paid employee data updating. This position also assists with the production of reports and statements associated with payroll.
This position reports primarily to the Payroll & Compensation Office. The integrated nature of the Human Resource Information system also requires close conjunction with all other Human Resource areas as well as Campus Departments.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
- Reviews and edits hourly timesheets and summaries for inaccuracies and FLSA compliance prior to payroll calculations.
- Interpret union contracts – applying rules and benefits when reviewing time reported
- Coordinates submission of missing departmental summaries before calculation processes
- Review audit reports of time entry load process to determine inaccuracies of overtime application, improper differentials, etc. before hourly payroll calculation
- Verifies the payroll system totals balance with the departmental control sheet totals
- Trains less experienced personnel on payroll procedures.
- Enters a variety of different voluntary deductions codes and amounts such as charities into computer
- Enters requires involuntary and union dues deduction codes and amounts into computer
- Enters additional pay information including inclusive dates, amounts and account information
- Evaluates and updates pay lines with state offset deduction amounts for both hourly and salaried payrolls
- Serves as a backup for all data entry when necessary
- Prepares duplicate W-2s as needed for employees
- Back up journal entries and vendor check requests for all voluntary and in voluntary deductions and union dues
- Back up transfer information for those deduction amounts that can be electronically transferred by Treasury Operations
- Checks W-4 and Direct Deposit entry after imputed into computer system
- Responds to telephone, email, walk-in, and mail inquires and requests for information and documents
- Filing of Additional pays in books and employees files as time allows.
- Additional duties as assigned by supervisor
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
1. Possession of credential requirements listed for the Payroll Specialist I (Level II)
2. One year of work experience performing duties comparable to those listed in the Payroll Specialist I
or One year of vocational training in a related business curriculum (such as accounting, business administration, finance, economics, or management sciences)
or 6 semester hours in a related business curriculum (such as accounting, business administration, finance, economics, or management sciences)
or 15 semester hours in any field
or Any combination of the above totaling one year
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES NEEDED TO UNDERTAKE JOB
1. skill in analyzing and solving arithmetical problems
2. skill in the operation of business office equipment
3. skill in working accurately with details
4. good communications skills (oral and written)
5. skill in using spreadsheet and/or work processing software
6. ability to deal tactfully with sensitive or confidential information
7. supervisory ability
8. ability to act as inter- and intra-departmental liaison
Education and Experience Preferred