Catering Banquet Server - Limited (5650C), Cal Dining 21862
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
At Cal Dining, we believe that breaking bread together is a unique aspect of dining on-campus with friends, faculty or staff. Our focus is on nourishing the Cal community, both for physical and social well-being, through customer-driven programs, culinary excellence and campus social responsibility.
- Provide superior service to clients (including accurate knowledge of services provided, ingredients in dishes served, knowledge of wine and beverage service, etc.) at beverage reception, buffet meal or plated meal service.
- Control customer access at catered events including checking identification cards.
- Maintain the appearance and cleanliness of work areas, dining rooms, equipment and utensils, and furnishings used for catering.
- Ensure timely delivery and set up of food and non-food products for catered events; independently service event if needed.
- Establish and maintain positive relations with our customers.
- Listen, and if possible, resolve customers' needs and report them to the manager and/or supervisor.
- Interact enthusiastically and pleasantly with customers and co-workers to ensure a positive interaction and outcome in every interaction.
- Responsible for practicing good stewardship with university and customer resources.
PREPARATION AND SET-UP:
- Gather, set-up, prepare, replenish, and distribute beverages, food and non-food products in designated areas to ensure availability in a timely manner to meet customer demand.
- Assist in merchandising catered events.
- Assemble food and non-food products for transport between buildings utilizing carts or catering vehicle (if driving).
- Ensure all operational areas are clean and organized in a timely manner to meet customer demand.
- Prepare and appropriately display necessary signage for catered events.
- Safely operate, maintain, and identify problems with all equipment used in production and service.
- Set tables with formal silverware, napkins, centerpieces and beverages.
- Set up buffet tables with all necessary food and utensils.
BREAKDOWN AND STORAGE:
- Breakdown and clean supplies, dining room and equipment after catered event.
- Maintain inventory control of food and beverage for catered events
- Ensure the cleanliness, safety, and sanitation of designated storage and work areas, large and small equipment, utensils used in food production, and vehicles.
- Store items such as china, linens, furniture, decorations, etc. after catered event.
- Works in a safe and responsible manner while not putting self or others at risk. This includes complying with applicable policies and regulations; using personal safety gear; observing warning signs; learning about potential hazards; and reporting unsafe conditions.
- Minimum of 2 years' experience in restaurant or catering environment
- Customer service experience in a food service environment.
- Catering food service experience.
- Demonstrated ability to direct the work of others.
- Experience following directions related to job responsibilities.
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English and follow oral/written instructions.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to operate and maintain restaurant food service equipment.
- Experience in inventory control.
- Food preparation experience.
- Experienced providing wait and or bartender service.
- Experience delivering items.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn UC Berkeley campus.
- ServSafe Certification.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is $18.23, Step 1.0.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
This is a full-time, 40-hours per week, limited appointmnet.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Service Unit (SX) between the University of California and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at:
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=21862&PostingSeq=1