Printing Services Technician (Part time, 47.5%)
Classified Unit A
Time (Percent Time):
Current Work Schedule (days, hours):
Monday - Wednesday: 5:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.; Thursday: 6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Steps 1 - 6: $1,935 - $2,469 per month
Shift differential eligibility based on the current collective bargaining agreement
Initial Screening Date:
Open Until Filled:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled.
Applicants must submit all of the following materials online at Mt.SAC Employment Website
to be considered for this position:
1. A Mt. San Antonio College online application.
2. A cover letter describing how the applicant meets the required education and experience.
3. A detailed resume that summarizes educational preparation and professional experience for the position.
4. Two letters of recommendation that reflect relevant experience (do not use social media or professional networks as a means to provide letters of recommendation).
5. College and/or university transcripts showing the awarded/conferred degree (if applicable) are required and must be submitted with the online application by all applicants, including current or former employees of the college, to demonstrate that the required educational qualifications are met. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at the time of application; however, copies of diplomas are not accepted in lieu of transcripts.
Health & Welfare:
Employees working less than fifty (50%) percent are not eligible for health and welfare benefits. The District participates in the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), State Teachers Retirement System (STRS) retirement programs, and National Benefit Services (NBS) Alternative Plan.
Note Salary and Health & Welfare Benefits are subject to change.
Under general supervision, performs a variety of tasks involving reprographic processes which utilize both offset and direct contact duplicating equipment and various types of bindery equipment capable of reproducing printed material for District divisions, departments, faculty and staff.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from the Director, Purchasing, Printing, and Mail Services. This classification exercises no supervision of staff. Employees may provide technical and functional direction and training to less experienced staff and student workers.
This is the advanced journey-level class in the Printing Services Technician series responsible for the timely and high-quality reproduction of a wide variety of business and educational support materials. Incumbents utilize specialized computer software and operate high-speed reproduction equipment to meet customer requirements and complete varied reproduction orders. Incumbents at this level are required to be fully trained in all procedures related to the completion of print jobs, working with a high degree of independent judgment, tact, and initiative. This class is distinguished from the Coordinator, Printing Services in that the latter is responsible for coordinating the full operations of the printing services function and for providing technical and functional direction to lower-level staff.
Essential Duties/Major Responsibilities:
1. Knowledge of the online web submission software including the ability to help customers with the program as necessary.
2. Sets up and operates a wide variety of reprographics machines and related equipment to produce bulletins, brochures, booklets, forms, letters, postcards, transparencies, book covers, and instructional materials.
3. Operates bindery equipment and performs related tasks including cutting, three hole drilling, off-line stapling, paper jogging, folding, padding, and/or saddle stitching to complete the job according to customer specifications.
4. Receives, reviews, and prioritizes work orders; scans and submits jobs for daily printing; releases web jobs; plans, schedules, and completes assignments in compliance with standards of work production; expedites emergency jobs.
5. Communicates with faculty, staff and administrators to clarify work requests and define project requirements and expectations.
6. Performs preventive maintenance and minor repairs and adjustments to equipment; arranges for equipment repairs with service technicians and vendors; maintains records of work performed, supplies used, and vendor jobs; makes necessary adjustments to equipment for the most efficient performance.
7. Instructs less experienced staff and student workers on proper use of equipment; provides lead direction to assigned staff on a shift-basis in the absence of the coordinator.
8. Prepares completed jobs for pick-up, including the shelving or boxing for jobs too large to fit on the shelves; wraps finished jobs.
9. Completes specialized printing projects comprising large and/or odd sized formats; takes extra steps such as scanning and/or cropping individual pages.
10. Assists customers with the transportation of heavy boxes with use of hand trucks.
11. Picks up and delivers paper from the warehouse; moves stock.
12. Answers phone calls and works towards the resolution of issues; notifies the supervisor of significant feedback, uncommon issues, and important circumstances.
13. Organizes and clean print shop and work areas.
14. Learns and applies emerging technologies and, as necessary, to perform duties in an efficient, organized, and timely manner.
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
1. Basic principles of supervision and training.
2. Standard methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in a comprehensive reproduction shop.
3. Principles and techniques of graphic arts, computer graphics, graphic design, page layout and image editing.
4. Operations and care of equipment used in the course of work.
5. Standard office practices and procedures, including the use of standard office equipment, basic record-keeping, and arithmetic.
6. Safe work practices.
7. Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with the public, vendors, students, and District staff, including individuals of various ages, disabilities, socio-economic and ethnic groups.
Skills and Abilities:
1. Plan, schedule, assign, and oversee activities of assigned staff and student workers.
2. Inspect the work of others and maintain established quality control standards.
3. Train others in proper and safe work procedures.
4. Identify and implement effective course of action to complete assigned projects.
5. Operate various equipment and tools such as a paper cutter, folders, drills, binding, and related equipment.
6. Select proper color, size, and weight of paper, and proper inks for each project.
7. Perform basic preventative maintenance of equipment and tools.
8. Understand and follow written and verbal directions, instructions, and safety rules and procedures.
9. Maintain accurate logs, records, and basic written records of work performed.
10. Interpret, apply, and explain applicable District policies, rules, and regulations related to areas of responsibility.
11. Organize own work and set priorities to ensure the accurate and timely completion of print jobs.
12. Understand scope of authority in making independent decisions.
13. Review situations accurately and determine appropriate course of action using judgment according to established policies and procedures.
14. Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Minimum Qualifications/Education & Experience:
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth (12th) grade and increasing experience working with reprographics equipment, such as production level digital presses.
Any combination of training and experience which would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications is listed in the Minimum Qualifications section.
License(s) & Other Requirements:
Incumbents work in an office environment with moderate to high noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Due to the nature of work, employees may come into contact with fumes, dust, and/or odors and may be expose to mechanical and electrical hazards due to moving parts of the reprographic equipment. Incumbents may interact with staff and/or public and private representatives in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting containing large reprographic machines and use specialized equipment, including copy machines, office computers, paper cutter and folder, paper drill, heavy duty stitcher and stapler, laminator, shrink wrapper and heat gun. This is an office classification and frequent standing in and walking between work areas is required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate the above-mentioned equipment. Positions in this classification stand, bend, stoop, kneel, and reach to operate the machinery and handle print jobs. Incumbents should be able to demonstrate the manual dexterity needed to perform fine maintenance procedures. Incumbents must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects up to 50 pounds.
Conditions of Employment:
Official offers of employment are made by Mt. San Antonio College Human Resources and are made contingent upon Board approval. It is also required that a final offer of employment will only be made after the candidate has successfully been live-scanned and clearance for employment is authorized by Human Resources. Costs for live-scan services shall be borne by the candidate.
Notice to all prospective employees The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in Administrative Procedure 3518, titled Child Abuse Reporting, as a condition of employment.
As required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Mt. San Antonio Community College Annual Security Report is available here: Mt. SAC Annual Security Report 2017
The person holding this position is considered a Responsible Employee under Title IX of the Educational Amendments Act of 1972 and is required to report to the Colleges Title IX Coordinator all relevant details reported to him or her about an incident of alleged sexual misconduct including sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating and domestic violence and stalking.
Typing Certificate Requirements:
: A confirmation number will be assigned when your application packet indicates the supplemental questions have been answered and a document has been attached to each required link. Assistance with the online application process is available through the Office of Human Resources at 1100 N. Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789-1399. Human Resources: (909) 274-4225. E-mail: email@example.com
include photographs or any demographic information (e.g. D.O.B, place of birth, etc.) on your application or supporting documents.
TRAVEL POLICY: Costs associated with travel in excess of 150 miles one way from residence for the purpose of an interview will be fully reimbursed (at the economy rate). Relocation costs will be borne by the successful candidate. Travel reimbursement claims (original receipts) must be submitted no later than 30 days following the interview date.
Transcripts issued outside the United States require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the filing deadline.
at 1100 N. Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789-1399. Human Resources: (909) 274-4225. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
A committee will evaluate applications, taking into account breadth and depth of relevant education, training, experience, skills, knowledge, and abilities. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Interviews may include a writing sample, committee presentation, and/or performance test. The start date will be following Board approval and receipt of live scan clearance.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To be guaranteed consideration, it is the applicants responsibility to ensure that all required materials are received before the initial screening date and time indicated on the job posting. Incomplete application packets will not be considered. All application materials will become College property, will not be returned, and will not be copied. Please visit our employment website at Mt. SAC Employment Website
to complete and submit your application for this position.
Letters of Recommendation
Confidential letters of recommendation are not accepted for this position. All letters of recommendation must be uploaded to the application.
The College is an equal opportunity employer. The policy of the College is to encourage applications from ethnic and racial minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and Vietnam-era veterans. No person shall be denied employment because of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex (gender), age, sexual orientation, or the perception that a person has one or more of these characteristics.
Conflict of Interest:
Mt. San Antonio College employees and the Board of Trustees members shall not engage in any employment or activity that is inconsistent with, incompatible with, or in conflict with Mt. San Antonio Colleges Administrative Procedures (AP 2710 Conflict of Interest, AP 2712 Conflict of Interest Codes).
Cancel RTF Policy:
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO RE-OPEN, RE-ADVERTISE, DELAY OR CANCEL FILLING THIS POSITION.
THIS RECRUITMENT MAY BE USED TO FILL FUTURE VACANCIES.
To apply, visit https://hrjobs.mtsac.edu/postings/7661