The School of Public Health & Health Professions (SPHHP) is seeking a dynamic and enthusiastic individual to be part of the SPHHP academic advisement team. Responsibilities of this position include:
- Provides timely and accurate academic advisement to prospective and current UB students and their families at the undergraduate level.
- Participate in university and school-wide undergraduate recruitment events.
- Participate in a range of activities which inform the management of academic advisement processes. Such activities include academic policy review & recommendations, interpreting rules and regulations and assisting with training others in the unit on these policies and their implications, preparing written reports for supervisor, involvement in professional academic and related organizations to enhance ability to perform job responsibilities.
- Facilitates first year, international, and transfer orientation in a professional and courteous manner as assigned.
- Works closely with program directors and other OASA staff to ensure a thorough understanding of programmatic changes to ensure those message are accurately conveyed to students.
- Serves as a member of the SPHHP Student Success & Recruitment Committee; executes retention and student success strategies across the SPHHP undergraduate population.
- Represents OASA at appropriate meetings and advisor trainings university-wide.
The School of Public Health and Health Professions (SPHHP) at UB offers programs at every degree level and is the home to five departments; biostatistics, community health and health behavior, epidemiology and environmental health, exercise and nutrition sciences, and rehabilitation science. It is one of only a few schools across the country that includes health-related professions as an integral component of the public health educational and research system. Faculty and students engage in research and community activities designed to improve the health of populations, communities and individuals. The SPHHP is located on the South Campus of University at Buffalo. For more information about the school, visit www.sphhp.buffalo.edu.
The University at Buffalo is the State University of New York’s largest and most comprehensive research-intensive university and is its primary center for professional education and training. We are accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities. UB provides a rich environment for collaborative interdisciplinary research with faculty within the SPHHP, as well as with faculty at other schools located in the Academic Health Center (Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Dental Medicine, Pharmacy and Nursing), and faculty outside of the Academic Health Center, such as Social Work, Law, Architecture and Planning, Engineering and Applied Sciences, and others.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
- Bachelor’s Degree with 2 years of experience in a higher education academic advising setting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, public presentation skills, and strong computer skills.
- Strong presentation and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of the disciplines housed within the School of Public Health & Health Professions.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
- 5 or more years of previous academic advising experience.
- An advanced degree in higher education, student personnel services, student counseling, or related area.
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse population of students
- Demonstrated experience using an early alert system (i.e.: Student Success Collaborative, EAB product) for targeted outreach in support of student retention initiatives.