The primary focus of the Program Manager & Recruitment Specialist is to work with the Assistant Dean of the MBA Program, and MBA Office staff, to promote and support student success. This would include supporting MBA marketing strategy, overseeing the social media initiatives, planning and executing events, managing student programs, communicating with prospective and current students about program requirement, and providing support throughout the student lifecycle.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
Providing strong student support services to our students is critical to retention and student success. Understanding that student’s needs are different depending upon where they are in their development is at the core of advising at NIU. We practice both developmental advising and high-touch intervention recognizing the importance of (1) the interaction between students and the campus environment; (2) the value of supporting the "whole" student; (3) the consideration of student’s developmental level; and (4) the need to be intentional and responsive to concerns, potential risks, barriers or challenges. Advisors at NIU are deliberative and proactive, and are expected to work in collaboration with support units across campus guided by the goal of student success. Advisors are expected to understand and fully utilize technology to support positive student outcomes including utilizing Navigate for scheduling, note-taking, referral and data analysis. All advisors at NIU are expected to be highly aware of the status of the students in their caseload including retention, persistence and graduation outcomes, academic outcomes and progress toward completion and achievement of customized pathways to completion.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
1. Bachelor’s degree.
2. A total of one (1) year (12 months) in education, training and/or work experience in n marketing, higher education, student personnel administration, academic advising, or area of specialization inherent to business industry.
(Note: Master’s Degree in an area consistent with the duties of the position may be substituted for one (1) year of work experience.)
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
1. Master’s degree in a business-related field, higher education, or leadership.
2. Minimum of four (4) years experience in marketing, higher education, student personnel administration, academic advising, or area of specialization inherent to business industry.
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
1. Customer and Personal Service – Knowledge of principles and processes for providing quality educational guidance. This includes student needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of student satisfaction.
2. Administration and Management – Knowledge of business and management principles involved in the presentation and delivery of academic programs, strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership techniques, recruitment methods, and coordination of people and resources.
3. Active Listening – Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
4. Critical Thinking – Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
5. Knowledge of educational, evaluation, and measurement principles, practices, methods, and techniques, university policies and procedures.
6. Speaking – Talking to others to convey information effectively; ability to develop a rapport with students.
7. Written Expression – The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
8. Ability to establish effective working relationships with students, faculty, and staff.
9. Availability to work some evenings, weekends, and off-campus assignments based on critical advising cycles
Ability to work remotely with the expectation of commuting to NIU DeKalb one day a week or as needed.