Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Located in Boston's historic Fenway area, Simmons has a strong tradition of empowering women and challenging traditional gender roles. Simmons University was one of the first higher education institutions to prepare women to become leaders and has evolved to become a university offering a women's undergraduate program and graduate programs open to all.
You're joining our community at an especially exciting time as one of our strategic goals is to become the most inclusive campus in New England. You'll find that people who work here are truly committed to our mission of preparing students to become champions of social justice and leaders in their professions and their communities. This commitment and pride make for a dynamic workplace.
Simmons University is looking for a Staff Accountant to join the Controller's office. Reporting to the Senior Accountant, the Staff Accountant will support accounting functions and prepare accounting records including cash, prepaids, fixed assets, debt and other areas as needed. From preparing monthly account reconciliations to ensuring the accuracy of balances and reporting, the Staff Accountant will play an important role in the daily operations of the University's Finance Office.
General Ledger Posting and Account Reconciliation
- Record accounting transactions for areas including but not limited to: Cash, Prepaids, Fixed Assets, Debt, and other areas as needed;
- Manual posting and upload of chargeback journal entries prepared by various members of the University;
- Prepare monthly reconciliations, ensuring accounting is accurate and complete;
Cash Entry and Reconciliation Support
- Assist in the ongoing reconciliation of the University's cash activity;
- Review daily activity posted by Cashier and reconcile to the bank activity;
- Communicate and escalate discrepancies or challenges in reconciliation;
Fixed Asset Accounting
- Track and record assets;
- Assist the Assistant Controller and Senior Accountant in ensuring additions to capital projects are in line with Simmons policies, procedures, as well as generally accepted accounting principles;
- Prepare supporting depreciation expense details for each building on campus;
- Provide auditors with supporting documentation for audit test selections;
- Coordinate monthly and quarterly meetings with facilities, technology, and other departments to ensure proper accounting for their capital purchases;
- Review amortization to ensure recognition is appropriate;
- Review operating expenses and identify invoices not captured through the Supplier Invoice process;
- Prepare monthly reconciliations for prepaid expenses;
- Book adjusting journal entries as needed;
Required Application Materials:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, or, a Bachelor's degree in Business with a concentration in accounting and/or finance required;
- 0-1 year of related professional, internship, or other experience preferred;
- Strong understanding of basic accounting principles;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to demonstrate attention to details and good-record-keeping;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Proficiency (intermediate level or above) in Microsoft Excel
Instructions to Applicants
: Please upload all
applicable application materials (e.g. resume/cv, cover letter, writing sample, teaching philosophy, etc.) in the "Resume/CV" box on page 2 ("My Experience") of this application. Documents can be uploaded individually or as a combined document (e.g. PDF).
Simmons University is committed to inclusive excellence in all aspects of an individual's community experience. As a university committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, Simmons encourages applications from all under-represented groups. Simmons is committed to creating, developing, promoting, and enhancing inclusive hiring practices-at all levels, for all positions-ensuring diverse talent pools and the delivery of a consistent positive candidate experience. Simmons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to continuing to develop a more diverse faculty, staff, student body, and curriculum.
To apply, visit https://simmons.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Simmons-Careers/job/Main-Campus---Boston-MA/Staff-Accountant_R05898
Located in Bostons historic Fenway area, Simmons College is a small, private, non-sectarian College which has educated students for enriching careers and purposeful lives since 1899. Working at Simmons means joining a collaborative, diverse and mission-driven community of educators and professionals.
We prepare students to be leaders for themselves, their communities and the world. Our faculty and staff members lead by example - sharing a commitment to excellence and putting the students first.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |