Data Quality and Station Support (6256U) 10492
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: September 17, 2020
The Berkeley Seismological Laboratory (BSL), in collaboration with the US Geological Laboratory in Menlo Park, operates seismic networks in northern California that provide rapid earthquake information, and earthquake early warnings to federal and state government organizations, emergency response entities, and to the public. The BSL also collects and archives geophysical data that is available for research and to the public, through the Northern California Earthquake Data Center (NCEDC). The BSL and USGS/MP operate the Northern California Seismic System (NCSS) of the California Integrated Seismic Network (CISN). In addition to the regular operations, the BSL is part of the California Earthquake Early Warning System (CEEWS) called West Coast ShakeAlert.
For all these projects and activities, the BSL has need of a team member to ensure and support data transport, availability and quality, to support programming, inventory and management of seismic sites, equipment and supporting infrastructure, including problem reporting, and to support earthquake reporting and information activities. Other tasks are related to outreach, performing routine updates of web-pages for station- and earthquake-related information, and regularly updating information and answering simple questions from the public.
- Data quality assurance: Data quality assurance relates to completeness of data, latency of data and quality of data. Using existing tools, the incumbent processes and reviews real time digital data from BDSN and other seismic networks arriving at the BSL for completeness, timing quality, latency and waveform performance; monitors automatic retrieval processes, retrieving missing data when necessary, providing timing corrections where needed and integrating retrieved data into archives; prepares reports on data quality, including latency, picks, waveform quality and other parameters.
- Earthquake and public information & response: The incumbent partipates in earthquake analysis, including locating earthquakes and determining moment tensors using existing software packages; and coordinates and participates in earthquake response rotations at the BSL; The incumbent updates information on BSL hosted web pages using raw HTML and simple UNIX/Linux commands.
- Equipment configuration and tracking: The incumbent configures data loggers and other equipment to be installed in the field using existing configuration templates and defined instrumentation parameters, including networking parameters. The incumbent tracks instrumentation using existing tools, including serial numbers, installation locations, metadata and support metadata evaluation. The incumbent participates in troubleshooting and monitoring of remotely installed equipment, including networking problems
- Other tasks as assigned
- Comfortable using computers in a Linux/Unix environment and working with shell scripts & use of aliases
- Attention to detail
- Basic understanding of seismic/geophysical instrumentation, earthquake waveforms, routine earthquake analysis and location, moment tensor analysis
- Skills to communicate complex information in a clear and concise manner both verbally and in writing.
- BA or BS in geophysics, geology, physical sciences, mathematics or computer sciences and/or equivalent work experience.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Excel; experience with simple databases.
Salary & Benefits
This is an hourly paid positon, commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=10492&PostingSeq=1