Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is a university-wide service organization committed to delivering technology solutions in support of Tufts’ mission of teaching, learning, research, innovation, and sustainability. With staff across all of Tufts’ campuses, as well as a 24x7 IT Service Desk, we collaborate with schools and divisions to meet the demands of a global, mobile community. We promote a collaborative, flexible work environment, embrace diversity and inclusion, and encourage personal and professional development. Learn more about TTS on our website.
What You'll Do
As the Digital Accessibility Specialist in TTS, you are guided by a passionate commitment to supporting a culture of diversity and inclusion and serve as a critical member of a multi-disciplinary team working to advance and ensure digital accessibility at Tufts University. With a keen and balanced sensitivity to meeting human need and mitigating risk to the university, you conduct comprehensive accessibility evaluations for software applications under consideration for purchase and deployment, ensuring compliance with the university’s Digital Accessibility Policy; and assist in testing sites, applications, surveys, and third-party products and services to ensure they are accessible to people with a broad range of disabilities. As an advocate for, and expert in, accessibility, you consult with department staff to help them determine how to make their products and services accessible; may participate on RFP committees for third-party products and services; and contribute to the development and delivery of training in accessibility to departmental staff who create content, maintain websites, or develop applications. You maintain reports on web accessibility metrics at both the campus/location and systemwide levels to help measure improvement in web accessibility and gauge the effectiveness of activities. You are the first contact for the Tufts University community on questions about digital accessibility. As you stay abreast of evolving best practices and standards in IT accessibility, you are proactive in sharing this knowledge with UX designers and web developers and other professional responsible for digital content.
The work designation for this position is remote.
What We're Looking For
- The skills and experience typically acquired through a Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, graphic design, instructional design or related field
- Basic knowledge of disability law, including but not limited to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the ADA and the Telecommunications Act.
- Experience performing accessibility audits of EIT (web-based applications, services, etc.) prior to purchase.
- 2 - 4 years of experience in the fields of websites, web applications and integrations and infrastructure systems
- Familiarity and work experience with WCAG 2.1 AA accessibility standards and guidelines.
- Experience working with key stakeholders purchasing and developing an online presence.
- Ability to work across multiple projects simultaneously.
- Willingness to continually learn and stay abreast of developments in accessibility and UX testing
- Demonstrated ability to convey complex technical concepts via both written and verbal communication.
- Experience designing and offering multi-forms of training around accessibility.
- Experiencing with various UX testing software packages
- Experience with website analytics (Google analytics and SiteImprove)
- Experience with learning management software
- Online teaching experience
- Experience in higher education
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
The majority of the work for this position is performed during normal business hours Monday through Friday. However, there may be an occasional need to work during evening hours as required. The work designation for this position is remote.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.