Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Distinctive Collections Coordinator
Distinctive Collections Coordinator
Reporting to the Director of Distinctive Collections and Digital Engagement, the Distinctive Collections Coordinator oversees daily operation in the Digitization Lab, including training and operational supervision of student workers. Performs complex digitization as needed. Digitizes analog audio and video content. Monitors and implements the movement and paging of Distinctive Collection materials. Provides materials oversight and researcher supervision. Gathers and maintains researcher and materials usage metrics. Assists in the description of Distinctive Collections materials, and in exhibits, marketing and outreach activities as needed.
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the daily operations of the Digitization Lab including the hiring, scheduling and operational supervision of student workers, ensures adherence of digital library standards and best practices, and operates scanner, image editing, and OCR software. Performs complex digitization as needed.
- Digitizes analog audio and video content, and captures and processes audio and video in digital formats.
- Provides materials oversight and researcher supervision. Gathers and maintains researcher and materials usage metrics and provides basic assistance with reference and discovery sources in both print and digital formats in the research room setting.
- Monitors and implements the movement and paging of Distinctive Collection materials.
- Assists in the quality control of scanned images, in development of knowledge creation projects, in manuscript transcription, in the description, access, and exhibition, marketing and outreach of materials from Distinctive Collections, and in the creation and uniform construction of metadata descriptions for materials in the Digital Library.
- Contributes to programs, goals and strategic initiatives of the Collections and Stewardship department, Falvey Memorial Library, Villanova University and professional organizations, as appropriate.
- Performs additional duties and assists with special projects as assigned
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours
- Bachelors degree, required
- 3+ years of relevant experience, required, including at least 1 year of experience in an archives, special collections, or museum setting
- Ability to digitize complex objects in a timely fashion with great attention to detail.
- Knowledge of audio and video digitization standards, practices, and tools.
- Demonstrated ability to edit and manipulate digital images using software tools.
- Familiarity with best practices, issues, technologies in the area of digitization and scanning.
- Familiarity with best practices for rare materials handling and materials movement.
- Familiarity with metadata and rare materials descriptive practices and LC classification.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated interest and enthusiasm for developing and maintaining relationships with diverse user communities.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to handle high volume of activity with a high degree of accuracy
- Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of software applications pertinent to digital library implementations.
- Knowledge of scanning and OCR tools and techniques for digital conversion of physical materials.
- Ability to work with a wide range of computer software and hardware in the changing technology environment.
Prolonged sitting, standing and walking for up to 4 hours at a time, frequent bending and lifting, able to lift up to 40 lbs. of library materials while moving/walking, pushing and pulling a book truck (4 wheels) of library materials weighing between 50 and 100 lbs., ability to climb several flights of stairs on a regular basis.
Special Message to Applicants
Please include contact information for three references.
Closing Date (12am ET):
Open Until Filled:
Salary Posting Information:
Commensurate with experience
To apply, visit: https://jobs.villanova.edu/postings/13820
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values. Villanova University is committed to providing leadership in the attainment of equal employment for all individuals. It is the policy and practice of Villanova University to recruit and select applicants on the basis of their qualifications and abilities. This effort is in compliance with all federal and state laws, including Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1975, Executive Order 11246, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |