NOTE: This is an instructional support position. This is not a faculty position.
Under general supervision, provides instructional assistance and support tasks to students involved in online courses in accordance with assignments and directions from a course instructor or other academic personnel; provides technical assistance to students, faculty, and staff in the use of technology that supports online instruction; monitors and reports student progress; maintains the hardware and software for the instructional program on the network; instructional support for online instruction requires technical competence in a variety of academic subjects, including microcomputer support.
This is a very broad classification in the instructional assistance area. Positions assigned to the class of Instructional Associate perform duties to assist and support a classroom instructor or other academic personnel. Specific tasks may vary depending upon the subject area and discipline to which assigned. Work is performed within a framework of established procedures which may not require the physical presence of the instructor or other academic personnel.
Positions in this class may exist in any of the instructional departments or divisions. Incumbents in the class of Instructional Associate are expected to have completed a minimum of two years of college with a major in the subject area to which their position is assigned. Recruitment to fill a position in this class should include the instructional area of assignment, such as "Instructional Associate (Art)" or "Instructional Associate (Mathematics)".
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Assist teachers with the instruction, demonstration, and presentation of learning materials for online instruction.
* Assist in the preparation of instructional activities for online instructors.
* Provide basic tutoring in a variety of general subject areas.
* Orient students and new faculty on the procedures used and technology available to facilitate online learning.
* Recommend appropriate instructional materials and technology to be used by students; develop, modify, and test online instructional courses to ensure curriculum is current, accurate, and relevant in accordance with instructor's curriculum guidelines.
* Review educational software and provide recommendations as needed to enhance online instruction.
* Assist in planning and evaluating new hardware, making recommendations to faculty and management when appropriate.
* Assist students with technical difficulties regarding online instruction.
* Provide assistance to students regarding various aspects of online courses.
* Respond to student questions and provide information regarding resources available to online students.
* Research and troubleshoot technical problems when students, staff, and faculty have problems with the college's course management system or log-on procedures.
* Assist in recruiting, hiring, training, and supervising student assistants.
* Assist instructors in preparation of manuals, handouts, and training/teaching materials.
* Ensure compliance with policies, procedures, and priorities related to use of online instruction software and equipment.
* Participate in development of the budget and monitor expenditures.
* Maintain accurate records.
* Participate on committees and attend conferences with instructional staff to exchange information on online learning progress and to remain current in online curriculum support technology.
* Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.