Human Resources Technician, Short Term Temporary Hourly Assignment
Kern Community College District
Initial Screening Date:
Open Until Filled:
$23.52 per hour
Flexible - as needed
This position does not qualify for benefits.
This is a District funded position located at Bakersfield College.
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, perform a variety of complex technical tasks and comprehensive personnel services for academic and classified employees.
Provide complex technical assistance to the Vice Chancellor, Human Resource Services, Human Resource Managers, and Specialists.
Assist in the maintenance of official
personnel records for classified and hourly employees; establish electronic job records; collect and disseminate required payroll documents; assist in the initiation of
payroll processing; coordinate resolution of payroll irregularities with district and
college personnel/payroll staff; assist in the preparation and submission of reports related to classified and hourly employees.
Provide clerical assistance in the collective bargaining process for the District and all bargaining units.
Perform a variety of personnel and clerical duties related to the recruitment, examination, selection and processing of classified or academic personnel as assigned.
Perform a variety of personnel and clerical duties related to workers' compensation claims.
Prepare employment contracts as directed by the Vice Chancellor, Human Resources.
Prepare and file workers' compensation claims; prepare statistical analysis of workers; compensation claims experience as requested; perform follow-ups on workers' compensation claims as necessary.
Type and proofread a wide variety of reports, letters, and projects. Update, monitor and maintain a variety of forms, reports, bulletins, records, schedules, lists, reference manuals and files according to established procedures; verify and post information as necessary to assure completeness and accuracy.
Prepare, distribute, receive, record and maintain files of job applications in the final stage of interview process. Ensure complete screening packet and meeting area is ready for Screening Committee meetings.
Enter, modify and retrieve data utilizing word processing, spreadsheets, and electronic communication.
Perform duties related to the examination of applicants as required; assemble and organize written examination materials; administer, correct and score written exams.
Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information regarding collective bargaining agreements and other sensitive information.
Other related tasks as assigned or directed.
Education and Experience:
Any combination equivalent to: Associates degree in business or related field AND
two years increasingly responsible human resource experience in a variety of the human resources area.
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an evaluation service.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of policies and procedures related to a human resources integrated computer system.
- Knowledge of modern human resources office functions, practices, and procedures.
- Knowledge of computer applications for word processing, spreadsheets, and electronic communications.
- Knowledge of practices and techniques for administering a compensation plan.
- Knowledge general payroll practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary.
- Ability to perform a variety of difficult and confidential secretarial and clerical duties in support of the human resources, EEO and employee/labor functions.
- Ability to learn and comprehend District organization, operations, policies, and objectives.
- Ability to interpret District Board policy and applicable laws to human resources/employee procedures.
- Ability to operate a computer terminal to enter data, maintain records, and generate reports.
- Ability to listen, speak, read, write, compose, analyze, and comprehend, with discretion and tact,
in order to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work confidentially with discretion.
- Ability to work cooperatively as part of a team.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and efficient working relationships with staff at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate employee records and reports.
- Ability to complete assignments within specified deadlines accurately and efficiently.
- Ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with individuals at all levels, both to internal Kern Community College District populations and external customers.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
Completed Online Application for Employment form
Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
Copy of legible transcripts, if applicable
List of six (6) professional references Listed on application form
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.kccd.edu/postings/11655
. Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.