The department of facilities services is responsible for the efficient and cost effective operations, maintenance and management of all tufts university facilities consisting of approximately 5 million square feet of space on three campuses (Somerville/Medford, Grafton, and Boston).
A broad range of services are provided to support the university campuses including: facility maintenance by all trades, capital maintenance, information technology systems for operations (work control, time capture, preventative maintenance), energy and utilities systems, recycling and waste management, event services, residential facilities coordination, grounds maintenance and facility condition assessment and tracking. Facilities services plays a critical role in planning for the $30m/year deferred maintenance investment.
Related functions, which require close coordination with this department, are public and environmental health and safety, campus planning and design and construction of capital and deferred maintenance projects including major repairs, renovations and new construction.
What You'll Do
Reporting to the Facilities Operations Group, the Painter I will be responsible for rehabbing and painting multiuse dwellings (classrooms, labs, office space, etc.…). A majority of the work on the Campus will focus on interiors of space after researchers move out and before new staff move in. Occasionally in need of exterior painting work, this requires working safely at heights. The University requires experienced Painters who understand the industry best practices and apply them to every aspect of their work. In some cases, space/lab build-outs are involved with the job. This position is considered essential as defined in the Tufts University Employee Handbook.
TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
1. Responsible for mixing, matching, and applying paint to various surfaces, completing touchups, and
coordinating large painting projects.
2. The position requires the ability to run and manage small groups of individuals assigned to painting projects.
The ability to estimate the amount of product required for specific jobs and assist in the selection of products to
best meet the needs of the environment.
3. Understands how to read blueprints, drawings and specifications to determine the correct applications and
products to purchase and apply. Maintain an inventory of products on the campus and used on projects.
Inventory lists will be shared with the University’s EHS department
What We're Looking For
- High school diploma/GED preferred
- Preferably 7+ years’ residential or commercial painting experience required
- Ability to complete projects on-time and on-budget
- Ability to complete work proactively as well as on an urgent/immediate basis
- Excellent communication and team-building skills
- Must have excellent oral and written communications skills
- Must possess excellent time management skills
- Must work well under pressure and be able to perform urgent equipment repairs
- Must have the ability to juggle multiple tasks and prioritize competing requirements
- Must be able to deal with difficult people and/or stressful scenarios
- Must have excellent organizational skills
- Must have strong PC and tablet skills; proficiency in MS Office
- Must be able to work well with other technicians, tradesmen, students, lab managers, customers, faculty and staff
- On-call and overtime hours as needed, per assigned schedule.
- Good hygiene and cleanliness is required at all times.
- Must adhere to the University’s uniform policy.
- Follow rules and regulations as described in the University & CBA Handbook