Would you like to receive more jobs like this via email?
If you'd like, Academic Keys can email you similar job openings. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Would you like to receive more jobs like this via email?
Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
System Administrator (0520U), SAIT 50183
University of California, Berkeley
System Administrator (0520U), SAIT 50183
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
At UC Berkeley, we believe that learning is a fundamental part of working, and our goal is for everyone on the Berkeley campus to feel supported and equipped to realize their full potential. We actively support this by providing all of our staff employees with at least 80 hours (10 days) of paid time per year to engage in professional development activities. To find out more about how you can grow your career at UC Berkeley, visit grow.berkeley.edu.
The Division of Student Affairs advances the learning and personal growth of students by providing leadership, services, and opportunities that enable students to succeed in and contribute to a diverse and global society. Student Affairs Information Technologies (SAIT), a department within the Division, provides and supports the technology and computing services for the Division. SAIT supports many of the services provided to students, the Division of Student Affairs, and the university community.
SAIT consists of 30+ full-time career staff and over 70+ student part-time staff. The department is organized into six teams: Student Technologies, Portfolio and Project Management, Application Development, Systems, Operations, and Information Security.
- Applies advanced concepts in working on highly complex projects involving all aspects of enterprise class system administration including server operating systems, databases, networking, firewalls, and cloud technologies. Responsible for design, testing, implementation, operational support, maintenance and performance tuning of Test, QA and Production environments. Proposes and implements system enhancements and updates to improve performance and reliability. Evaluates computing, storage, firewalls and other resources to best fit the needs of the systems. Builds, maintains and enhances Microsoft Windows Server operating systems, including AD, GPOs, SQL Server, IIS, RDS, SCCM (ECM), and SCOM. Maintains VMware server environment. Designs and implements migrations from on-premise to Azure. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Serves as a senior-level Systems Administrator on the team. Collaborates with internal and external IT professionals as a proactive member. Participates in project teams in deployment of custom applications and vendor applications. Utilizes excellent interpersonal and communication skills to document, share and present technical information to team members in a clear and concise manner. Collaborates with a student team and the Student Leadership Coordinator. May lead a team of systems/infrastructure professionals.
- Applies solid understanding of network protocols and networking fundamentals to analyze, diagnose, and resolve system connectivity and functionality problems. Creates, maintains and reviews firewall rules; makes recommendations for improvements. Supports Network Engineering team on an advisory basis as needed.
- Executes security controls to safeguard data, privacy and IT resources. Administers security policies to control access to systems. Provides recommendations and requirements on network access controls. Analyzes server logs and other data to identify and resolve issues and isolate attempted efforts to compromise security.
- Conducts complex systems programming and support activities. Specifies, writes and executes scripts to support system management, task automation, log analysis and other administration duties for multiple, highly integrated systems.
- Maintains a positive relationship with other departments and personnel that will assist in the development, funding, promotion, and/or public relations of the Division of Student Affairs and SAIT. Supports the success and objectives of SAIT.
- Adheres to University and departmental policies, procedures, and professional practices as well as city, state, and federal laws. Also responsible for adherence to UC Berkeley's Data Classification Standard, Minimum Security Standards for Networked Devices and Minimum Security Standards for Electronic Information.
- Provides routine and emergency 24x7 production support as part of an on-call rotation. May work nights and weekends as needed to resolve issues, implement changes, and conduct necessary maintenance. Perform root cause analysis and help with problem management process for incidents.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge, skills, and abilities in IT/Systems Administration.
- Ability to define, design and/or implement complex cloud-based systems/services. Experience with cloud infrastructure, Azure strongly preferred.
- Extensive experience troubleshooting and resolving complex technical problems.
- Extensive experience managing Microsoft Windows server operating systems.
- Experience managing Active Directory and Group Policies in an enterprise environment.
- Experience with system virtualization and storage in an enterprise environment.
- Experience with scripting languages (PowerShell preferred).
- Able to work independently or as part of a team with little supervision.
- Ability to learn new technical skills/services quickly through comprehensive research and analysis and the ability to produce clear and concise recommendations and guidance.
- Must be able to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner across the organization and at varying levels, both technical and non-technical.
- Knowledge of Information Security best practices.
- Knowledge of networking fundamentals.
- Experience with system imaging and patch management.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Experience with Configuration Management technologies such as System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager (ECM).
- Working knowledge of database systems (Microsoft SQL or Oracle SQL preferred)
- Knowledge of campus and departmental processes and procedures.
- Experience with ID card and access systems such as CS Gold.
- ITIL V3 Foundations training and certification.
- Experience with creating, maintaining VMware Templates and Guest Customization.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University, please visit the University of California's Compensation & Benefits website.
Under California law, the University of California, Berkeley is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary outside of the range posted in this job announcement. This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, analysis of internal equity, and other business and organizational needs. It is not typical for an individual to be offered a salary at or near the top of the range for a position. Salary offers are determined based on final candidate qualifications and experience.
The budgeted salary range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position is $105,000 - $140,000.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter.
The minimum posting duration of this position is 14 calendar days. The department will not initiate the application review process prior to March 23, 2023.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant, please see the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission poster.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, please see the University of California Discrimination, Harassment, and Affirmative Action in the Workplace policy.
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=50183&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |