The Department of Art at the University at Buffalo in the College of Arts and Sciences is seeking an Assistant to the Chair for Student Programs.The Assistant to the Chair for Student Programs serves as the primary contact and support for undergraduate and graduate students in the department from point of interest and admission through enrollment and degree conferral. The ideal candidate is student-focused, customer-service oriented, and able to thrive in a fast-paced creative and diverse environment.
As the Assistant to the Chair for Student Programs you will administer all department academic programs (UG and Grad) working closely with faculty including the Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUS), Director of Graduate Studies (DGS), Program Heads, and Chair. You will also work with the other department staff (administrative and instructional) on promotional material content and course demand.
This position will have administrative oversight and leadership for all academic programs (UG and Grad) in the department which include:
- Becoming an expert and point person in regard to all programs, degrees and tracks (PhD, MFA, MA , BFA, BA and minors). Explain and communicate degree requirements to university faculty, staff, and students as needed.
- Making recommendations regarding course offerings during annual course scheduling cycles. Incumbent will be relied upon to provide accurate data regarding courses/seats needed for student to move through all programs efficiently for on-track matriculation and graduation.
- Working closely with department leadership (Chair, DGS, DUS) regarding course offerings and schedules. Alert leadership to problems and concerns regarding over scheduling of courses and/or under scheduling of needed courses.
- Providing reports and information on student progress/needs as necessary to both Chair and Assistant to the Chair as well as DUS/DGS to inform departmental course offerings/course scheduling.
- Making recommendations to department leadership regarding curriculum including development of new courses (UG and Grad).
- Advising and assisting faculty on university procedures for submission of new course proposals or program changes.
- Serving as a liaison with other units within CAS regarding cross-listed courses and applicability toward degree requirements.
- Reviewing applications to major and minors with appropriate faculty leadership; admit students to majors and minors; monitor progress to degree and alert appropriate department leadership to problems or concerns with students.
- Serving as main point-of-contact regarding student issues for CAS Dean’s Office, CAS and central advising and admissions.
- Administer department scholarships.
- Assisting faculty in preparation and administration of Undergraduate student portfolio reviews as needed. Coordinate student orientation sessions.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Bachelor’s degree required. Previous experience working directly with students as an administrator. Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills required. The ideal candidate is student-focused, customer-service oriented, and able to thrive in a fast-paced creative and diverse environment. Computer experience in MS Office (Word, Excel, Access). Must be able to manage competing priorities, be deadline-driven, and demonstrate a commitment to learning new skills as needed. Must be able to interact with a diverse constituency.
Master’s degree preferred. Significant independent responsibility preferred. Experience with UB systems (ePTF, SIRI, HUB, InfoSource, etc.) strongly preferred. Experience working with UG and Grad student populations in University setting preferred.