Applications Programmer (7300) - BAIR
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 7/8/20
The role of the Applications Programmer involves developing, evaluating, and analyzing Machine Learning (ML) and Computer Vision (CV) research algorithms on massive real-world data sets. The incumbent develops experimental tooling as needed and innovates new methods that improve upon baseline benchmarks.
25% Identifies, implements, evaluates and analyzes appropriate ML/CV baseline methods using knowledge of state-of-the-art in industry and academia.
20% Improves upon baselines by researching, developing, evaluating and analyzing novel ML/CV methods.
15% Develops and executes robust analysis tools that include visualization of model output, internal representations, and statistical summaries.
15% Develops frameworks for executing CV research experiments on massive real-world imagery datasets.
10% Interacts with internal personnel including junior engineers, research peers, and senior advisors.
5% Develops and executes automated unit tests for experimental framework.
5% Recommends and implements changes in development, maintenance and system standards.
5% Understands industry practices and department policies and procedures relating to work assignments.
- Requires thorough knowledge of R&D programming function.
- Requires thorough knowledge relating to the design and development of Machine Learning (ML) and Computer Vision (CV) object detection algorithms.
- Requires knowledge of other related areas of CV and ML concepts including Active Learning.
- Requires advanced skills with the PyTorch deep learning framework.
- Knowledge of department processes and procedures.
- Requires advanced programming and math skills associated with research engineering, including implementing algorithms directly from Computer Vision (CV) publications.
- Requires interpersonal skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
- Has skills needed to develop conversion and system implementation plans.
- Must be able to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Requires ability to understand business needs and how business systems can support those needs.
- Has ability to interface with management on a regular basis.
- Must be self-motivated, work independently or as part of a team, able to learn quickly, meet deadlines and demonstrate problem solving skills.
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Professional and/or academic research experience in Computer Vision and Machine Learning.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
Salary commensurate with experience.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=8696&PostingSeq=1