This is an academic year position.
Tufts Dining is a self-operated food service provider managing a comprehensive collegiate food service program on the Tufts University Medford-Somerville campus delivering high quality, contemporary and innovative food and hospitality services to meet the various needs of students, faculty, staff and visitors in a fiscally responsible manner. Our team operates a progressive resident dining program for approximately 4000 students as well as responsive retail services and a distinctive university catering program serving the campus community totaling 5500 undergraduates, 1700 graduate students, and 2300 faculty, staff and administrators.
RESIDENTIAL DINING CENTERS AND CATERING ARE OPEN 7 DAYS A WEEK. WORKING WEEKENDS & EVENINGS WILL BE EXPECTED.
What You'll Do
The Second Cook will prep, prepare and finish a variety of menu items for service following established preparation guidelines and department recipes in quantities forecasted and planned in advance by management using various cooking methods and a variety of food preparation equipment. Will garnish and present finished menu items appropriately. They will complete all assigned work to meet meal service deadlines following department and industry standards for quality, sanitation and batch cookery. They will be flexible and use sound judgment to reduce or increase food quantities prepared based on customers’ demand. They may prepare and present foods in customer service areas, serving and interacting with customers in a friendly, courteous and professional manner. The Second Cook will work as a team with other culinary employees to prepare planned meal service, follow the directions of senior cooks and provide guidance and mentorship to less experienced cooks. The Second Cook will be responsible for the cleaning, sanitation and general upkeep of food preparation equipment and workstations and works in accordance with food safety guidelines and completes service records accurately as assigned. Must demonstrate the ability to work under periods of fast pace and high pressure. All employees are responsible for punching in and out in accordance with department policy and standards. They must be given permission from a manager to punch in early or stay past their schedule out time. All employees will adhere to posted schedule and all requests for time off will be granted based on business needs. In accordance with the CBA, schedules will be posted 14 days (excludes catering) in advance. Time off requests must follow proper procedure and will be approved/denied in accordance with department needs. No requests will be honored for Senior Week, Holidays, Alumni Weekend, Commencement, Orientation, Matriculation, or Special Events during the Academic Year.
What We're Looking For
- 3 years of experience in a culinary production operation.
- Able to read, follow, understand and execute recipes and follow written and verbal directions precisely.
- Experience and proven competence using a variety of food preparation equipment and applying various cooking methods.
- Experience working independently in a logical, efficient and productive manner.
- Must have a pleasant demeanor, enjoy working with people, be a team player and be committed to customer service.
- Must speak, read and understand English.
- Experience preferably in a high-volume operation with a proven broad range of well-developed culinary skills.
- Associates Degree in the Culinary Arts is ideal.
- High school diploma/GED is preferred.
- Tufts Dining is a hospitality-oriented service provider, all employees are expected to be customer service sensitive.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.