Performs cooking and preparing of cold items and a variety of food preparation duties according to planned menus, recipes, and the number of persons to be served. Serves as an instructor's assistant, reinforcing curriculum and overseeing café operations and the preparation of cold food items for campus requests and child development center.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Cook is within a service-oriented career ladder and capable of organizing, leading, and performing made-to-order cafeteria food assembly, service, and baking that usually requires more than one production phase. The Cook requires a demonstrated ability to organize and sequence steps involved with baking and cooking food items from scratch and to assign tasks to student-workers and other service staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Organizes and sequences preparation of cooked and baked food items and service. Oversees and does final prep of food ingredients so those food items such as hot or cold sandwiches that can be assembled during peak times.
* Determines quantity and type of ingredients, and the sequencing of steps to produce final products. Assigns and demonstrates assembly steps to students.
* Prepares other food items such as sliced meats and salad bar foods. Cuts fruits and vegetables and prepares packaged portions and/or serving trays. Operates miscellaneous kitchen equipment such as a slicing machine, mixer, and warming oven.
* May serve as team leader when setting up for catering and/or attending a food production station, assembling, wrapping, and displaying standardized portions for sale.
* Monitors and records food temperatures and handling safety at regular intervals during the preparation and assembly times.
* May serve as a cashier, accepting money and point-of-sale meal collections and assisting in the compilation of daily receipts and counts.
* May take on the baking of pastries, cakes, bread, and other goods as needed.
* Maintains work areas in an acceptable safe and sanitary condition. Washes, sanitizes and cleans kitchen equipment, surfaces, and serving areas. Sweeps floors. Fills and wipes off condiment containers. Restocks napkin and eating utensil dispensers.
* Cleans and sanitizes equipment, utensils, appliances, and storage areas to comply with health and sanitation regulations.
* Assembles, counts, and may assist with delivering meals to meeting locals and the Child Development Center.
* Assists with counting inventory and may order food items and supplies to fulfill daily meal requirements.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.