(Senior) Associate, Operations and People (7376U), Center for Effective Global Action - 28455
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
CEGA is a hub for research on global development, headquartered at the University of California, Berkeley. CEGA's large, interdisciplinary network-including a growing number of scholars from low and middle-income countries (LMICs)-identifies and tests innovations designed to reduce poverty and promote development. CEGA researchers use rigorous evaluations, tools from data science, and new measurement technologies to assess the impacts of large-scale social and economic development programs. Through careful matchmaking, competitive grant-making, and integrated research dissemination and policy engagement activities, CEGA ensures that the scientific evidence we produce improves the lives of people living in poverty.
CEGA is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion-please read our values statement here
The generalist operations team maintains essential functions at CEGA providing critical support to our staff in an effort to boost overall organizational productivity. Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Associate executes and advises others on procurements, vendoring, and customer service relationships and helps to cultivate a culture of workplace safety, camaraderie, and fun. You will lead general office management activities including coordinating space use/planning, ergonomics, IT, software, and equipment maintenance. The Associate will also support and implement CEGA's talent management strategy, including support for recruitment, diversity, student services, and onboarding. You will work closely with campus People and Culture (HR) to ensure CEGA's adherence to campus policies and processes and will develop internal process improvements, guidelines and information resources; support organizational learning; and promote staff productivity. We think this role might be a great fit for someone interested in gaining a big-picture view of the operations work required to run an effective organization.
Note on location: We are headquartered at the University of California, Berkeley. This position requires regular in-person presence and is expected to work under a hybrid remote/on-site model.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: December 30, 2021
Operations and Office Management
The (Senior) Associate is CEGA's office manager and contributes to overall center operations through implementation of long/short-term space planning, IT and equipment coordination, budgeting, and procurement.
People and Culture
- Implement and oversee center-wide supply/equipment procurement and maintenance, including development of guidance and process improvements for purchasing by other staff. Serve as a center-wide resource on vendoring, procurements, payments customer service, and related administrative activities, and provide guidance materials for and mentoring to all staff. Liaise with campus IT and ergonomic services to ensure that all staff have secure, operational, modern equipment. Evaluate space use and propose short/long-term space use strategies and improvements, including activities and investments to promote workplace safety and productivity. Lead center-wide scheduling and calendar management (e.g. weekly staff meetings, team meetings, conference room bookings, interviews, etc.). Contribute to CEGA-wide activities, including internal working groups, process documentation and repository maintenance, and major events.
The (Senior) Associate serves as the Center's internal coordinator and advocate for human resources:
- Serve as primary liaison to Berkeley People and Culture (HR) and ensure timely, effective, high-quality services/operations between CEGA and central campus to enable organizational efficiency, growth, and development. Facilitate sensitive and/or confidential department HR requests, including recruitments, hires/reappointments, and performance reviews. Develop systems/tools to improve processes and outcomes; collect and distribute professional development and management resources; innovate new and lead existing recruitment and onboarding activities; and monitor and report on trends to ensure that the center is recruiting for excellence/diversity and living our values. Organize periodic performance reviews and introduce process improvements as needed. Serve as HR liaison for Visiting Scholars, student interns, and center-wide internship programs. Design new processes and provide support to ensure a healthy workplace culture, including planning and implementing safety improvements, promotion of diversity, ergonomic assessments, prevention of harassment and other activities that strengthen CEGA's people and culture function. Support event planning and staff engagement (e.g. roundtables where staff share updates on their work, team lunches and happy hours, team-wide retreats).
- 2+ years of relevant professional experience. Well-organized, strong administrative skills, outstanding attention to detail and ability to multitask to meet deadlines. Self-directed, intrinsically motivated; proven capacity to manage work independently. Strong skills in short-term planning, analysis, problem-anticipation and solving, and customer service; ability to independently investigate solutions to administrative challenges and anticipate leadership needs. Knowledge of a variety of administrative operations, such as budget creation, calendars/scheduling, and events, hiring graduate and undergraduate students. Cultural sensitivity, positive can-do attitude, a sense of humor, and demonstrated ability to work diplomatically with diverse constituencies. Solid communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all levels of staff, both verbally and in writing. Ability to present complex operational policies and practices to diverse audiences. Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality, as well as sound judgment in responding to issues and concerns, including those related to space/facilities, workplace safety, and personnel disputes. Ability to remain flexible and able to adapt to change; ability to remain calm in the face of uncertainty. Strong competency with MS Office and Google applications. Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent years experience and/or training.
- Working knowledge of common campus-specific and other computer application programs.
- Experience with campus policies, procedures, processes related to human resources, procurement, vendoring, and reimbursements/payments.
Salary & Benefits
This is a full-time, career position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience with a range of $26.34 - $34.87
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. In addition to a current CV, candidates should submit a cover letter outlining (1) qualifications for the responsibilities listed above, (2) specific interest in the position, and (3) three academic and/or professional references. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
Please note CEGA will only hire individuals who are eligible to work in the US, either through an Optional Practical Training (OPT) visa or as a result of being US citizen or permanent resident.
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=28455&PostingSeq=1