The primary responsibility of this position is to provide academic advisement support for prospective and currently enrolled students in the Graduate School of Education, specializing in the area of teacher education. The academic advisement assistant will assist with program growth in all areas of recruitment, admissions, retention, and advisement, but specifically academic advisement and retention. Under the general direction of the Assistant Dean for Teacher Education, responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support the successful matriculation of new students into all of the GSE initial or professional teacher certification programs
- Aid students in understanding academic requirements, school/university policies and procedures, and NY state licensure/certificate requirements.
- Maintain accurate files/record for each advisee
- Monitor students’ program performance and attainment of program progression benchmarks
- Assist in planning for orientation and other advisement related activities
- Assist in the development of methods of performing work tasks in order to efficiently and effectively met the goals and objectives of the Teacher Education Institute.
- Serve as a liaison to the GSE admission office and faculty mentors in the Department of Learning and Instruction.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action-equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
A bachelor’s degree. Excellent interpersonal, communication, organization, and administrative skills are essential. Experience working with diverse populations in education settings is essential.
Master’s degree in Higher Education or related field. 2+ years working with undergraduate and graduate students in a college or university setting. Experience with adults learners and/or online students. Strong knowledge of teacher education program requirements.