Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Landscape Gardener II
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Landscape Gardener II
Grounds & Properties
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
This is a skilled position, responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of campus and other University owned grounds, and general laboring tasks between buildings or between other specified locations and supports events. Additional duties as needed.
WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
This is a union position with an hourly rate of $23.13 per hour.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works under the direction of a supervisor with oral instructions, work orders, sketches or related plans to maintain lawns, trees, planting beds, shrubs, drains, roadways, lots and outdoor athletic facilities.
- During winter, participates in snow removal from walks, steps, hydrants, roads and parking lots. In addition also undertakes such related tasks such as salting and sanding of the previously mentioned areas.
- Operates various college owned motor vehicles, construction equipment, and power tools related to the job function, and all other equipment used to undertake the responsibilities of the job.
- Loads, moves and unloads various material, furniture, and equipment as required, both in support of department operations or in coordination with other departments. From time to time, must be able to load, unload, or generally handle material such as salt and grounds additives that come in bags weighing 80 lbs.
- Must be able to undertake computational tasks related to application of soil additives, mixing of week control materials, mixing of pesticides, etc.
- As situation dictates, may be required to oversee activities of student employees.
- Must be capable of making independent decisions with respect to planting, plant shrub and flower selection, mowing, pruning or similar gardener activities. Must be capable further of making independent decisions with respect to the application of various pesticides and herbicides.
- Performs mechanical maintenance on department equipment as may be required on a day to day basis.
- Observes all safety requirements, maintains records and inventories as directed or required.
- High school or GED diploma
- Valid Commonwealth of Massachusetts drivers' license; CDL preferred
- Valid Commonwealth of Massachusetts Pesticide Applicator License
- Valid Hoisting Engineer License with a minimum 2B restriction (or ability to acquire within 6-mos of hire)
- Minimum of three years of landscape maintenance experience in a similar setting
- Completion of a minimum of 12 pre-approved credit hours in horticultural training or completion of UMASS Green School
WPI requires employees to be fully-vaccinated (including a booster shot) for COVID-19. For additional information on WPI's response to COVID-19, refer to https://www.wpi.edu/we-are-wpi
United States of America (Non-Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Gardener-II_R0001868
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |