Associate Director of Maintenance Services
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Administrative Exempt Positions
Supervises, directs, and coordinates staff and contractors engaged in Building Maintenance and Trades, including HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical, Painting, Locksmith, Carpentry, Chief Engineer, and Power Plant staff. Ensures proper operation, maintenance, reliability, economic operation, safety, regulatory compliance for building components, systems and equipment. Assists the Director of Facilities Operations with the development of long-rang plans, budgets and programs for the effective stewardship of campus buildings and facilities.
- SUPERVISION: Directly supervises employees in Building Maintenance and Technical Trades and contracted services. Provides leadership and daily oversight of union trades staff, including monitoring performance, compliance, encouragement, recognition, professional training and development, and progressive discipline, if needed. Regularly inspects and evaluates physical condition and operation of the facilities, productivity of staff, and quality of work. Optimizes the size and makeup of work crews, balancing in-house and contracted labor. Prioritizes and assigns tasks and work orders; inspects and monitors for completion and closes out. Develops, implements and enhances job skill training programs. Plans for, executes, and assesses operational changes that improve staff and contractor performance, and increase customer satisfaction; Works with the Director to determine appropriate, efficient, and sustainable staffing levels. Development of policies, procedures and work processes to ensure short and long term departmental success. Maintains a positive attitude, is proactive and productive in problem-solving, and exhibits exemplary attributes for teamwork, mutual respect, and support.
- ROUTINE MAINTENANCE: Responsible for Emergency, Planned, and Routine maintenance and repair of buildings, equipment and systems. Provides technical expertise; Assists staff in diagnosing systems and equipment malfunctions and assists staff in problem-solving. Prioritizes, schedules, issues and assigns work orders, duties, and tasks.
- PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE: Develops, implements, and maintains an effective preventive maintenance program, minimizing life-cycle costs, optimizing resource allocation, and maximizing reliability and service.
- FACILITIES WORK ORDER SOFTWARE: Utilizes web based work order management tool, utilizing the system for work orders, preventive maintenance, quality assurance, and customer service. Improves the maintenance work process to ensure optimal use of resources.
- GENERAL MANAGEMENT: Analyzes processes and identifies opportunities for improvement and application of best practices from the industry. Suggests changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency. Assists in developing and implementing departmental policies and standard operating procedures. Adheres to all departmental and university practices, policies and procedures. Approves employee time sheets.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: Communicates daily with key customers at all levels about work progress, potential delays, and solicits feedback. Provides operational oversight with an emphasis in directing change and improvement in practices and performance standards.
- PURCHASING, BUDGET & FINANCE: Procures and manages materials, tools, equipment and supplies, reviews and approves items ordered by staff, and ensures appropriate supply of stock and spare parts. Works with Procurement Services to maximize savings and utilize best practices. Responsible for monitoring and managing maintenance budgets, Assists in establishing cycles for reoccurring operational needs and in preparing annual Maintenance budgets.
- SAFETY: Coordinates safety training and inspections with Environmental Health & Safety office. Ensures all health and safety policies, procedures and programs are being followed to provide a safe and healthy work environment. Ensures safety and instructional training on the proper use of supplies and equipment, as well as methods and work practices. Reports any unsafe conditions or equipment, or damage/vandalism. Identifies and assesses risks associated with maintenance operations. Maintains continual readiness for inspections by various agencies fire, health, DEP, EPA, etc.
- AFTER HOURS: Participates as one of several after-hours on-call managers, overseeing all facilities areas, and assigned to a period for 24/7 ability to respond, on a rotating cycle, as well as an on-going need to respond in emergencies, weather-related, and special events. Provides and oversees emergency response as needed and according to departmental protocol. May perform activities of workers supervised in emergency or special circumstances.
- Other duties as assigned
- Job description subject to change based upon the University needs and demands.
- EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors degree (BS) in facilities management, engineering or equivalent experience in related field;
- 6 to 10 years of progressive hands-on and supervisory experience in trades and operations;
- Familiarity with HVAC controls, high and low voltage systems, fire alarm systems, energy management systems, metering devices, and related experience.
- Knowledge of building systems, construction, operation, safe work practices, and maintenance.
- Technical expertise in latest engineering trends and practices, including local, state and federal regulations and environmentally sustainable practices;
- Wastewater experience preferred.
- Experience with coaching and developing respect and productivity among staff in a union environment.
- CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Must possess and maintain a valid drivers license and utilize personal vehicle to travel on and off campus as required
- Technical licensure or certification desirable
- TECHNOLOGY SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Experience and prior utilization of maintenance management systems, project controls systems/tools, project management software, and management information systems is desirable
- OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated ability to successfully direct change and work place practices and standards of performance.
- Able to provide excellent customer service to a diverse campus community.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with a broad spectrum of customers.
- Must be self-motivated and enthusiastic, able to think and work well independently, and have sound judgment skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, supervisory, teamwork, problem-solving, and verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness and ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively as part of a team.
- Good judgment necessary for assuring safe work practices.
Open Until Filled:
Special Instructions to Applicants:
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/6065