Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Instructional Fitness Instructor (4128U), Recreational Sports - 39422
University of California, Berkeley
Instructional Fitness Instructor (4128U), Recreational Sports - 39422
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
The Instructional Fitness program is a part of the Fitness Department at the Recreational Sports Facility (RSF) at UC Berkeley. Our mission is to promote the knowledge, wellness, fitness, and quality of life for students, faculty, staff and the community. Our team of professional instructors educate, motivate and empower the campus community to make healthy lifestyle choices specifically in the areas of fitness and wellness. The Instructional Fitness team is highly visible and their knowledge and public relations skills are critical to the overall image of the RSF and the Fitness Department.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 29, 2022.
- Provides fee-based group activity instruction to program participants at the RSF, other campus locations, or virtually through live-streamed and on-demand content.
- Instructors plan or choreograph their own classes.
- Classes or workshops may include cardiovascular exercises, such as aerobics, indoor cycling or dance; strength training, such as lifting weights; or mind- body formats including Tai Chi, Pilates, and Yoga.
- Opportunity to provide adaptive classes onsite or virtually.
- Maintains a welcoming, inclusive, and supportive environment for program participants and facilitates participation.
- Instructors lead energizing, engaging, and safe classes for all fitness levels and encourages and motivates class members.
- Answers questions from participants to support them in achieving their healthy living and wellness goals.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with members, facilitates others to connect with one another and to the Berkeley Rec Sports community.
- Responsible for ensuring that fitness spaces provide a safe environment including the condition and proper storage of all equipment used during class sessions.
- Instruct class participants on correct equipment usage and body mechanics.
- Familiar with stereo and mic systems and how to troubleshoot issues.
- Monitors mic and music volume during class to not exceed Rec Sports established limits.
- Participates in required professional development Yes activities.
- Broadens knowledge of teaching methods, techniques. and skills through continuing education and certification to enhance leadership and instruction.
- Must have a current NCCA Fitness or Group Fitness related certification to remain as active staff.
- Required to maintain current CPR/AED certification throughout duration of employment.
- Attends all required trainings, workshops, and staff meetings.
- Participates in master classes, in- house trainings, and supports campus initiatives lead by RecSports as well as other special events.
- Completes all campus and Rec Sports required online trainings by designated deadlines.
- Adheres to Fitness Department requirements including payroll submission, class absences, and substitutions.
- Responsible for starting and ending classes "on time" as determined by the Instructional Fitness schedule.
- Stays current with Rec Sports events and programs to serve as an information resource for members.
- Be willing to promote the diversity of programs and activities available at Rec Sports.
- Working knowledge of and/or ability to learn program activity practices and procedures.
- Verbal and written communication skills in the English language, active listening, critical thinking, multi-tasking, time management skills, and dynamic flexibility in adapting to the needs of clients.
- Ability to exercise independent sound judgment and employ reasoning skills.
- Client service minded, entrepreneurial spirit and creative thinking skills.
- Basic skills in computer programs relevant to job duties.
- Knowledge of and/or ability to learn Rec Sports campus policies and procedures.
- High school diploma or equivalent certification required.
- Current NCCA Fitness or Group Exercise-related certification to instruct in the applicable recreational sports program.
- Maintain current CPR/AED certification throughout duration of employment.
- Previous experience working with age level specific to an activity is preferred.
Salary & Benefits
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section, then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
Recreational Sports is hiring twenty (20) Instructional Fitness Instructors.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=39422&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |