Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Temporary Librarian Technician
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Temporary Librarian Technician
Location: San Jose City College
Hourly Pay Rate: $24.30
Under the direction of an assigned administrator, perform a wide variety of technical and clerical library/media center activities related to such areas as technical services, periodical services, circulation services and library instruction using the full range of technologies available.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide general assistance to patrons in circulation services, locating library/media center materials.
- Assist patrons in a lab setting with computer applications and use of integrated library systems.
- Oversee and participate in the physical processing of materials in preparation for circulation, shelving and other library/media center activities.
- Label, reinforce, bind, jacket, stamp and repair library/media center materials; treat materials for security system.
- Type and distribute new acquisitions lists and bibliographies,
- Route selected materials to librarians, instructors, and administrators.
- Check-out print and non-print library/media center materials to patrons; check-in materials on return.
- Maintain accurate registration and transaction files and review files to identify overdue materials.
- Prepare overdue notices and assess and collect cash payments for overdue, damaged and lost materials.
- Follow-up on overdue notices to recover un-returned library/media center materials.
- Place holds on student records for non-return of library/media center materials.
- Respond to student and faculty in-person and telephone requests for library/media center materials, services, and information.
- Assist with coordination of circulation activities for library/media center materials.
- Assist patrons with the use of library and audio-visual materials and computers. Supply change for photocopy machines.
- Troubleshoot video and copy machines and computers as necessary.
- Organize and secure collection of master software, audio cassettes and manuals.
- Issue instructional materials to students, maintain inventory of supplies and replace materials as necessary.
- Assist in the maintenance of current statistics on library/media center operations and prepare summary reports.
- Maintain inventory of standard supplies and reorder as necessary.
- Assist in developing procedures and forms.
- Assist in taking inventory of library/media center collection of print and non-print materials.
- Prepare displays and exhibits, draft layouts, and prepare signs.
- Assist with training and providing direction to student workers assigned to unit or function.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Standard library procedures of a complex nature including cataloging and circulation procedures.
- Library of Congress classification system.
- Preparation and repair of library/media center materials.
- English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Modern office methods, practices and equipment including personal computers and related software.
- Audio-visual equipment and its basic operation.
Skills and Ability to:
- Learn to perform a variety of library/media center work with speed and accuracy.
- Work independently within general guidelines or parameters.
- Respond to questions from patrons and the general public in a courteous, tactful manner.
- Establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with others.
- Operate a calculator, facsimile machine, computer and other office equipment.
- Type at a rate of speed necessary for effective job performance.
- Receive and properly record cash payments for overdue materials.
- Learn to operate an integrated library software system.
- Organize assigned work to effectively meet deadlines and schedules.
Experience and Education:
- Graduation from high school.
- One year of prior library experience in a clerical or technical capacity.
- Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, cultural, disability, and ethnic back of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
On site position
Monday - Thursday: 11:30 AM to 8:00 PM
Friday: 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Interested applicants are to submit a resume & a letter of interest to Celia.Cruz-Johnson@sjcc.edu. Please contact Celia Cruz-Johnson if you have any questions. This position position is available beginning August 24th through December 21, 2023 with possibility of extension.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |