Limited Leave Replacement: Sr. Food Service Worker (5651C) 26905
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
At Cal Dining, we believe that breaking bread together is a unique aspect of dining on-campus with friends, faculty or staff. Our focus is on nourishing the Cal community, both for physical and social well-being, through customer-driven programs, culinary excellence and campus social responsibility.
Our service philosophy is centered around three key principles:
Flavor & Variety - We are committed to providing great tasting food for every palate. Our award winning program features a wide-variety of seasonal menus and ethnic specialties. We've partnered with top chefs and restaurateurs to bring quality offerings to our locations.
Health & Wellness - As leaders in providing healthier-for-you foods, we transitioned to natural, organic and trans-fat free food products and are 99.9% free of partially hydrogenated oils (PHO) in over 4,000 products.
Social Responsibility - We continually strive to do everything possible to minimize our environmental footprint. As a responsible neighbor, we are dedicated to supporting the Cal community, expanding our ecological efforts and encouraging our customers to do the same.
The Cal Dining team aims to be responsive by listening to our customers and responding to each and every customer comment. We demonstrate our commitment to responsibility by being the best possible stewards of our customer's financial resources. We strive to provide best-in-class service, all while upholding the values of the UC Berkeley community.
Food Production and Service:
- Set-up, prepare, replenish, distribute food products, beverages, and supplies in designated areas to ensure availability in a timely manner to meet customer demand,
- Under general supervision, performs semi-skilled food preparation, to include but not limited to grilling, frying and use of pizza ovens. Assemble and basic preparation of food products and beverages to support service and menu production, in adherence to Cal Dining service and production standards.
- Serve, plate, and package food using portion control techniques, resulting in an appealing final product. Follow basic principles of safety and sanitation in food service.
- Knowledgeable about food being served, including allergens, ingredients, etc..
- Establish and maintain positive relations with our customers. Listen, and if possible, resolve customers' needs and report them to the manager and/or supervisor. Interact enthusiastically and pleasantly with customers and co-workers to ensure a positive interaction and outcome in every interaction. Responsible for practicing good stewardship with university and customer resources.
- As cooks' helpers, assist with preparing and panning menu items, wash and cut raw vegetables, slice luncheon meats and cheeses; open and pan convenience food items in preparation for service; replenish dry storage bins; and clean equipment, cutlery, utensils, work tables, shelves, storage racks, cutting boards and sinks in the main food production areas.
Sanitation and Safety:
- Maintain cleanliness of all work area, including sweeping, mopping, wiping surfaces. Remove and properly dispose of trash, compost, and recyclable materials.
- Immediately resolve or report spills, damages, defects, and other issues to maintain safety and sanitation of the facility.
- Ensure all operational areas are clean and organized in a timely manner to meet customer demand.
- Clean and wash soiled dishware and equipment using correct procedures of safety and sanitation. Organize and store clean dishware into proper transporting equipment.
- As general utility workers, dish machine attendants, pot and pan machine attendants, perform a wide variety of duties for the maintenance of the, equipment used.
- As general maintenance workers, clean and maintain production equipment and areas ton include but not limited to pots, steamers, ovens, grills, deep wells, fryers and mixers; clean work tables, shelves, sinks, drinking fountains, storage cabinets, ice machines, refrigerators and food storage bins; clean walls, doors, and air-vents; collect, empty wash and redistribute garbage cans; and sweep and mop floors in kitchen or dining area.
- As pot and pan machine attendants, assemble, scrape, soak and wash pots, pans and utensils in the pot machine or three compartment sink; and clean pot machine, work tables, soak sinks and portable storage pot racks. Puts away all items when clean and dry.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Food preparation experience.
- Customer service experience.
- Experience following directions related to job responsibilities.
- Demonstrated ability to direct the work of others.
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English and follow oral/written instructions.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to operate and maintain restaurant food service equipment.
- Retail food service experience.
- ServSafe or Food Service Handler Certification.
Salary & Benefits
This is a non-exempt position, the hourly rate of pay it set at step 1, $16.84
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a limited appointment with an end date, for covering leave of absence.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Service Unit (SX) between the University of California and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/sx/index.html
In accordance with ARTICLE 30.B.5.A: Limited Appointment: "The automatic conversion to career status, as provided in B.4. above will not occur when: a. An employee who was hired as a replacement for another person who is on an extended leave that exceeds the 1,000 hours"
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1447&PostingSeq=1