Project Manager (8822U) 24714
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The Office of the CIO and Information Services & Technology (OCIO/IST) believe in and foster a workplace environment where people can bring their diverse skills, perspectives and experiences toward achieving our goals through a process of critical inquiry, discovery, innovation, while simultaneously committing to making positive contributions towards the betterment of our world.
In addition, members of the OCIO/IST community have created and endorse the following values for our organization to augment and amplify the campus principles:
We champion diversity.
We act with integrity.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging are more than just suggestions for us. They are the guiding principles underlying how we come together, develop leaders at all levels of the organization, and create an environment that unites us. We affirm the dignity of all individuals, call upon our leaders to address critical issues with integrity and intention, respect our differences as well as our commonalities, and strive to uphold a just community free from discrimination and hate.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 10/13/2021
Applies professional project management concepts; and is able to apply IT and project management policies and procedures in managing complex assignments.
- Strong understanding of resource and time management. Knowledge of MS Project and the use of Gantt charts.
- Assists the DPM team in the updating and maintenance of the campus IST Telecommunication Standards.
Implements the project management process in support of the campus' products and services involving departmental or cross-functional teams focused on the delivery of new or existing products.
- Responsible for ensuring that projects are documented and fully outlined (including: project description, stakeholders, meeting notes, associated ServiceNow requests, etc.) in the ServiceNow project management module.
- Responsible for ensuring that all project schedules, plans, review comments and any other project-related documents are properly archived in our Google Drive repository.
- Responsible for ensuring that RITM's (Requested Items) and Tasks are properly opened and assigned in ServiceNow.
- Works with SNE's (Senior Network Engineer) to ensure that network designs are being completed and approved for incorporation in the project.
- Must be proficient in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project, Visio, and other internal programs such as ServiceNow.
- Very strong knowledge of and experience working on telecommunications infrastructure within buildings. This includes TR's (Telecommunication Rooms), pathway and copper and fiber cabling.
- Very strong knowledge of and experience with Outside Plant (including trenching, duct and MH design, fiber and high-count Telco cable).
Assembles and directs moderate to large project team, designs project plan, schedules and may monitor budget/spending (people and dollars).
- Works with IST units such as: Premise Wiring, Installation Services, Network Services and accounting to ensure that the voice and data components of installations are delivered in a timely and correct manner.
- Gathers requirements, builds specifications and works with accounting to award contracts.
Monitors the project from initiation through delivery, including oversight of system integration, project and campus communications, interface with vendors and managing risk.
- Reviews construction plans from DD (Design Development) through SD (Schematic Design) to CD (Construction Design).
- Ensures that all work on a project is proceeding on schedule and within budget.
- Responsible for maintaining communication with customer on all aspects of the project.
Organizes the interdepartmental activities ensuring completion of the project/product on schedule and within budget constraints.
- Works with Capital Projects, contractors, outside vendors, Facility Services, campus departments, and others.
- Schedules and documents project meetings. Creates and ensures that action items are completed Manages punch-walks.
Implements the Request for Information (RFI)/Request for Proposal (RFP) process.
- Requires advanced communication, organization, and project management skills.
- Broad knowledge of IT-related initiatives and an understanding of impact to organization of such initiatives required.
- Requires knowledge of most aspects of computing and communications including hardware infrastructure, networking, voice, software applications, operations and disaster response.
- Requires ability to assess campus needs for information technology products and design services to meet those needs.
- Professional certification
- Active PMP (Project Management Professional) certification
- Active RCDD (Registered Communications Distribution Designer) certification
Salary & Benefits
Annual salary up to $113,600. Salary commensurate with experience. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=24714&PostingSeq=1