Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Sr. Building Maintenance Worker, Limited Leave Replacement (8212C) 1753 - 1753
University of California, Berkeley
Sr. Building Maintenance Worker, Limited Leave Replacement (8212C) 1753 - 1753
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Residential and Student Service Programs (RSSP) is part of the Division of Student Affairs under the direction of the Associate Vice Chancellor of RSSP. RSSP provides student housing, residential life programs, self-operated dining services for undergraduate and graduate students and their families, and child care services for students, faculty, and staff; it also conducts a year-round conference business, operates eleven campus restaurants, and manages twenty-six faculty apartments. The Central Maintenance, Design, and Minor Capital Projects units provide a comprehensive group of services to all units within RSSP. These services include performing or managing all building trades and related maintenance services, performing interior design services, space planning, renovation project planning and management services, major maintenance, minor capital planning and project management for RSSP.
***This is a limited leave replacement position. The approximate duration of the appointment is 2-3 months with the possibility of extension***
Under general direction, The Senior Building Maintenance Worker (SBMW):
General (Repair, replace, adjust and/or conduct installations of):
- Assists with coordination and oversight for the performance of maintenance services or project work within assigned facilities.
- Performs hands-on maintenance work on facilities and equipment at SBMW level.
- Assists with purchasing for self-performed projects and for projects performed by others.
- Performs work according to unit priorities as established by the Lead Building Maintenance Worker (LBMW) and supervisor.
- Performs, assists with performing, and coordinates preventive maintenance work.
Screens, dry erase boards, chalk and bulletin boards, toilet paper dispensers, food service equipment and similar items.
Carpentry (Repair, replace, adjust and/or conduct installations of):
Ceiling tile; molding and trim; furniture, fences, gates, door jambs, railings, and similar items. Refer trades level work through supervisor in a timely manner.
Electrical (Test, reset, clean, change batteries, repair, replace and/or conduct installations of):
Light bulbs, fluorescent tubes, ballasts and starters, breakers (reset only, as directed), timers, hard-wired smoke detectors, battery operated items including: door alarms, battery powered smoke detectors; bathroom ventilation fans, vacuum cleaners, appliances and related food service equipment. With the exception of ballasts and breaker resets, incumbent must not work with live electricity. Refer trades level work through supervisor in a timely manner.
Plumbing (Repair, replace, adjust, unclog, clean-out and/or conduct installations of):
Aerators, faucet washers, hoses and shower heads, drains in sinks/showers/floors (non-powered auger). Repair, adjust, unclog, clean-out, clean: Faucets and valve stems, garbage disposals, toilets, dish machines, showers, patios, floors. Refer trades level work through supervisor in a timely manner.
Wall/ceiling treatment (prepare, clean):
Walls for painting. For areas under 16 X 16: Patch and repair damages as necessary; texture, touch up/repaint surfaces. Paint and/or match existing paint using brushes, rollers, and spray cans. Refer trades level work through supervisor in a timely manner.
Doors (Repair, clean, adjust, lubricate, or replace):
Closers, latches, hinges, partitions, pilasters and similar items. Repair, clean, adjust, lubricate, crash (door exit) hardware. Refer trades level work through supervisor in a timely manner.-
Windows, mirrors, glass (board-up/tape):
Broken windows and tape cracks for safety prior to replacement. Take accurate measurements. (Repair, replace, adjust and/or install): Sash Rollers and glass (not to exceed 9 sq. ft.) where appropriate. Install and replace residential mirrors. Refer trades level work through supervisor in a timely manner.
Flooring (Repair, replace, adjust and/or conduct installations of):
Tile (VC and ceramic), baseboard, linoleum, carpet, carpet squares, thresholds, safety strips, etc. Install carpet/linoleum under 9 square feet. Refer trades level work through supervisor in a timely manner.
Assemble/disassemble and move and store as needed. Tear down/set up bunk beds and lofts.
General Cleaning-Room/Apartment Turnover Cleaning:
Properly clean and remove grease/stains from various areas, including: walls, windows, sills, tracks, light fixtures; all interior surfaces (e.g. closets, shelves, blinds, and drapes), refrigerators, ranges, ovens, sinks, countertops, cabinets, ventilation fans and hoods, water heaters, other appliances, sinks, toilets, showers, tubs, cabinets, stairwells, storage closets, patios, decks and balconies, etc.
Clean, extract and vacuum carpets; sweep, mop, strip, buff, wax floors. Remove trash, debris and abandoned property. Prepare apartments for painting.
- Preventative Maintenance (PM): Establish timelines and perform PM work in all areas of SBMW duties, including changing filters on mechanical systems as required or requested.
- Under the direction of the supervisor, train and schedule student and limited term assistants, inspect their work, and provide input for evaluations.
Maintenance Operations Coordination:
- Responsible for: any citations relating to the operation of the vehicle, operating vehicle on UC business with valid CA driver's license while observing traffic laws, parking vehicle in proper locations, maintaining vehicles according to fleet services.
- Maintain records on mileage and upkeep of University assigned vehicle (if applicable).
- Source and/or purchase: materials, supplies, equipment, specialized services for specific projects.
- Exercise care and follow the manufacturer's instruction in the use of UC equipment, supplies, and power/hand tools.
- Maintain the shop, storage, and various work areas in clean orderly and safe condition. Participate in: shop set-up, clean-up, improvement and oversight.
- Maintain, secure, and inventory all tools, equipment and supplies.
- Follow the established priority repair system in performance of duties. At the end of each work day delivers completed work orders to the Unit office.
- Maintain files to include, but not limited to, paint charts, supplier information, warranties, specifications, inventory, plan/blue prints, detailed floor plans.
Safety and Health Awareness/Responsibilities:
- Administer or complete: work requests/orders, work order management/ TMA assignment and closeout (when available), open tag reporting, daily log sheets, departmental purchasing procedures and forms.
- Participate in process development and departmental committees as assigned.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Perform all work in conformance with EH&S health and safety policies, OSHA and other applicable federal, state and local fire, health, safety, emergency-preparedness, pollution-prevention policies, RSSP policies and procedures and University of California's policies and procedures, including IIPP (Safety and Health Procedures), Hazardous Materials Communications Program, Health and Safety Manual, as well as any other document authorized by the RSSP management to have bearing on employee safety and conduct.
- Maintain awareness of potential hazardous operations; take appropriate precautions.
- Immediately stops work in the event of danger to people or property. Proceed with work only after ensuring that appropriate safety procedures have been implemented.
- Report all accidents and/or incidents immediately to supervisor for resolution and record keeping.
- Work in a cooperative manner with co-workers and promotes a team environment. Treats customers, co-workers, supervisors and managers with respect and courtesy. Utilize good judgment in interpersonal communications in situations requiring sensitivity and tact.
- Demonstrate good communication skills and working relationships at all times with campus community, including students, building managers, faculty, and co-workers. Understand the roles of students, faculty, staff and other RSSP employees as clients.
- Support and achieve organizational goals established to maintain and enhance customer satisfaction.
- Respond to requests for service in a timely manner.
- Interact directly with all levels of clients to define project requirements. Report progress or delays and refers major problems to superintendent for resolution and informs customers as needed.
- Establish and maintain positive relations with our customers. Listen, and if possible, resolves customers' needs and reports them to the manager and/or supervisor. Interact enthusiastically and pleasantly with customers and co-workers to ensure a positive interaction and outcome in every interaction. Responsible for practicing good stewardship with university and customer resources.
- Any formal training in building maintenance
- Any formal training in appliance repairs
- Possesses understanding of buildings, building systems, construction terminology, maintenance practices, methods, procedures, roles, equipment, tools, materials, sources for obtaining specialized materials and services, time required to perform work, and proper sequencing of the required steps in structuring and completing maintenance work and assigned projects.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in person, by telephone, radio, and in writing with customers, supervisors and co-workers.
- Knowledge of safe work practices.
- Knowledge and experience coordinating, troubleshooting and responding to customer service requests.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Skill to establish priorities, follow plans and complete goals/objectives.
- Skill to contribute as a team player in a respectful and professional environment.
- Skill to perform basic record keeping functions, organize material and equipment purchase documents - receipts, packing slips.
- Skill to perform basic mathematical calculations required in construction work.
- Ability to exercise integrity and discretion in all matters and to protect confidential information as dictated by assignment or policy.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and apply University rules, regulations, and policies
- Ability, detail orientation and initiative to make independent decisions in solving issues while adhering to the University of California and Berkeley campus policies.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing, with staff, co-workers, campus staff in English (Bilingual a plus).
- Ability to manage numerous details simultaneously.
- Ability to initiate and maintain cooperative relationships with co-workers, managers and supervisors, clients, contractors and consultants, and members of the campus community.
- Able to work safely at heights; able to gain access to work in small/tight areas and be able to gain access to work or maneuver around obstacles that requires stairs and ladders, able to safely maneuver supplies and objects up to 75 lbs; sets up and uses scaffolding and/or ladders to perform tasks above ground level.
- Understands preventive maintenance and its role in a comprehensive maintenance program. Assists with the development of and performs preventive maintenance work as directed.
- Specifically applicable work experience in performing apartment building, retirement home, or hotel maintenance or similar work experience.
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability to self-perform troubleshooting and quality, timely repairs on household-type appliances and equipment.
- Knowledge of department and campus purchasing procedures and requirements.
- Basic understanding or knowledge of the University environment, its mission, and operational needs.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
Per AFSCME Article 30, Section B - 5: "The automatic conversion to career status, as provided in B.4. above will not occur when a. An employee who was hired as a replacement for another person who is on an extended leave that exceeds the 1,000 hours"
Employment is contingent upon passing a physical exam.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1753&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |