Department Manager (0547U) - 2642 - 2642
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
The Department of Mathematics at Berkeley is generally recognized as one of the broadest, liveliest, and most distinguished departments of mathematics in the world. With approximately 55 regular faculty members representing most of the major fields of current research, along with 25 to 30 post-doctoral scholars, 180 graduate students, over 800 undergraduate majors, one of the finest mathematics libraries in the nation, and situated in a favorable climate in one of America's most exciting and cosmopolitan centers for mathematics research and teaching, Berkeley has become a favorite location for the study of mathematics by students and faculty from all over the world.
Since 1925, when the quality of its mathematics faculty was ranked eleventh in the nation by the American Council of Education, Berkeley improved dramatically, reaching fourth place in 1957, and second place in 1964. It achieved an unsurpassed ranking in 1970, which was reaffirmed in the most recent 1995 survey.
- Manages, plans and administers all administrative operations for the department.
- Administrative Services include Student Services, IT, Facilities, Health & Safety and Emergency Planning, Space Planning, Budgetary and Financial Management, and Faculty Human Resources.
- Acts as chief liaison with ChaMPS Region to improve relations and resolve workflow problems and specific issues.
- Develops, projects and monitors TAS/Gateway Budget ensuring maximum enrollments and costs, including fee remissions, benefits.
- Prepares short and long range planning for administrative services operations and improvements to processes.
- Establishes and recommends change to policies which affect the department.
- Develops and monitors operational budget processes, endowments and gift funds, staff FTE, finance, human resources and space planning.
- Manages systems and procedures to protect department assets.
- Interactions normally involve matters between functional areas, other campus units or customers.
- Oversees staff management and training.
- Hires, trains, evaluates and supervises administrative staff.
- Evaluates organizational structure and makes staffing changes as appropriate.
- Manages all operational and planning functions related to administrative, academic and student personnel.
- Ensures all contractual obligations are fulfilled.
- Ensures staff receive training in order to keep skills current and learn new systems as they are rolled out.
- Represents the department on business affairs at the Divisional, College and Campus level.
- Serves on campus committees and working groups.
- Skills in conflict management techniques.
- Proven ability to organize department work functions in an efficient and effective manner.
- Skills to work collaboratively with other campus locations.
- Broad knowledge of financial analysis and reporting techniques; human resources and risk management planning; accounting and payroll.
- Demonstrated skills in employee supervision and HR administration.
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively lead and motivate others.
- Broad knowledge of common campus-specific and other computer application programs or ability to learn.
- Proven skills to quickly evaluate complex issues and identify multiple options for resolution.
- Demonstrated active listening and customer service skills..
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively and persuade/influence all levels of staff; both verbally and in writing.
- Strong skills in strategic planning, analysis and problem-solving.
- Ability to use sound judgement in responding to issues and concerns.
- Political acumen and the ability use discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Broad knowledge of campus processes, protocols and procedures with a focus on budget, account and fund management, personnel management and personnel policy or ability to learn.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Professional certification preferred.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=2642&PostingSeq=1