You will be responsible for supporting the Assistant Director and Director of Finance with the day-to-day, monthly, and year-end operations of the Accounting / Finance Department within University Facilities. This includes supporting short and long term planning and the formulation / implementation of policies and procedures.
- Developing and managing a month-end checklist of all accounting activities to be completed, including manual entries, customer billings & collections, accounts payable invoice entry, payroll processing. Ensuring that all journal entries posted have adequate supporting documentation attached (i.e. are "stand alone") and that records retention policies are complied with.
- Will support the development, review and updates of billing rates in accordance with the University’s Service Center policies and within the guidelines of the Federal Office of Management and Budget (OMB).
- Contributing to the coordination and monitoring of business operations and financial activities for revenue and procurement processes across all accounts. Assists in analyzing existing university wide and divisional policies and procedures and implementing changes to increase the overall effectiveness of department financial operations. Helps to create, monitor and update internal controls; ensuring compliance with policy and regulations.
- Responds to planned or unforeseen emerging issues / circumstances. Recommend solutions and resolve short and long term operational / transactional issues escalated from employees, audits, etc.
- Participates in training opportunities, including helping to develop, train, and share knowledge with others. Serve on various committees. Conduct special projects as deemed necessary by the supervisor.
- Supervisor / oversee staff functions including training, assigning and setting work priorities and objectives in accordance with established policies and procedures. Review and write performance appraisals; oversee monitoring of time and attendance. Ensure appropriate cross-training to provide uninterrupted service to customers.
Candidate must be detail and process-oriented and have the ability to communicate information and respond to inquiries/requests with diplomacy and tact across all levels within the organization.
A flagship institution in the State University of New York system, UB is the largest and most comprehensive campus in the 64-campus SUNY system. We are a member of the Association of American Universities. UB is a premier, research-intensive public university dedicated to academic excellence.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Incumbents must possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to streamline processes.
Strong Microsoft Excel skills.
Candidate must have a demonstrated history of analytical and problem solving skills and of having managed multiple tasks simultaneously.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance preferred.
Working knowledge of payroll, accounts receivable, accounts payable, account reconciliation, cost accounting, variance analysis, generally accepted accounting principles and internal control measures (i.e. Sarbanes Oxley compliance) is preferred.