Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Senior Food Service Worker - Limited (5651C), Cal Dining 21864
University of California, Berkeley
Senior Food Service Worker - Limited (5651C), Cal Dining 21864
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
At Cal Dining, we believe that breaking bread together is a unique aspect of dining on-campus with friends, faculty or staff. Our focus is on nourishing the Cal community, both for physical and social well-being, through customer-driven programs, culinary excellence and campus social responsibility.
Food Production and Service:
- Set-up, prepare, replenish, distribute food products, beverages, and supplies in designated areas to ensure availability in a timely manner to meet customer demand,
- Under general supervision, performs semi-skilled food preparation, to include but not limited to grilling, frying and use of pizza ovens.
- Assemble and basic preparation of food products and beverages to support service and menu production, in adherence to Cal Dining service and production standards.
- Serve, plate, and package food using portion control techniques, resulting in an appealing final product.
- Follow basic principles of safety and sanitation in food service.
- Knowledgeable about food being served, including allergens, ingredients, etc..
- Establish and maintain positive relations with our customers.
- Listen, and if possible, resolve customers' needs and report them to the manager and/or supervisor.
- Interact enthusiastically and pleasantly with customers and co-workers to ensure a positive
- interaction and outcome in every interaction.
- Responsible for practicing good stewardship with university and customer resources.
- As cooks' helpers, assist with preparing and panning menu items, wash and cut raw vegetables, slice luncheon meats and cheeses; open and pan convenience food items in preparation for service; replenish dry storage bins; and clean equipment, cutlery, utensils, work tables, shelves, storage racks, cutting boards and sinks in the main food production areas.
Sanitation and Safety
- Maintain cleanliness of all work area, including sweeping, mopping, wiping surfaces.
- Remove and properly dispose of trash, compost, and recyclable materials.
- Immediately resolve or report spills, damages, defects, and other issues to maintain safety and sanitation of the facility.
- Ensure all operational areas are clean and organized in a timely manner to meet customer demand.
- Clean and wash soiled dishware and equipment using correct procedures of safety and sanitation.
- Organize and store clean dishware into proper transporting equipment.
- As general utility workers, dish machine attendants, pot and pan machine attendants, perform a wide variety of duties for the maintenance of the, equipment used.
- As general maintenance workers, clean and maintain production equipment and areas ton include but not limited to pots, steamers, ovens, grills, deep wells, fryers and mixers; clean work tables, shelves, sinks, drinking fountains, storage cabinets, ice machines, refrigerators and food storage bins; clean walls, doors, and air-vents; collect, empty wash and redistribute garbage cans; and sweep and mop floors in kitchen or dining area.
- As pot and pan machine attendants, assemble, scrape, soak and wash pots, pans and utensils in the pot machine or three compartment sink; and clean pot machine, work tables, soak sinks and portable storage pot racks.
- Puts away all items when clean and dry.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Works in a safe and responsible manner while not putting self or others at risk.
- Complies with applicable policies and regulations, uses personal safety gear, observes warning signs, learns about potential hazards, and reports unsafe conditions.
- Food preparation experience.
- Customer service experience.
- Experience following directions related to job responsibilities
- Demonstrated ability to direct the work of others.
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English and follow oral/written instructions.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to operate and maintain restaurant food service equipment.
- Retail food service experience.
- ServSafe or Food Service Handler Certification.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is $17.87, Step 1.0.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time, 40-hours per week, limited appointment.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Service Unit (SX) between the University of California and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at:
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=21864&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |