Reporting to the Director of the Adult Degree Program at Lehman College, the Academic Advisor provides academic counseling for diverse non-traditional student population and offers advisement to full-time and part-time adult students.
Additional duties include:
- Assist students in identifying academic goals related to personal and professional objectives, and in developing appropriate academic plans that will inform their timely graduation.
- Provide timely and accurate information regarding curriculum and graduation requirements as well as policies concerning good academic standing and academic probation.
- Monitor students’ performances and take appropriate action if necessary; resolve students’ problems regarding curricular requirements. Work with other Lehman College staff to assist students to declare majors and select appropriate courses.
- Develop academic and career plans and perform graduation audits.
- Provide information to students regarding student support services, college policies and program procedures and guidelines.
- Facilitate various workshops, assist with other department activities such as course scheduling, recruitment, and orientation activities.
- Establish and maintain student advisement files; prepare activity reports and analyses.
- Utilizing current technology such as CUNYFirst, Degree Works, Access, Excel, and online tools, enhance and support the quality of the advisement program.
Bachelor’s Degree required. Understanding of adult student population and proven communication skills highly preferred.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Provides academic counseling and planning services to a diverse student population.
- Assists students with clarifying values and goals; counsels students regarding educational options, requirements, policies and procedures.
- Offers academic and personal support to guide students through the course selection process
- Provides students with effective and timely referral to other college and external support services
- Monitors and evaluates students’ educational progress by conducting academic progress audits
- Establishes and maintains student files, databases and records; prepares activity reports and analyses
- May specialize in providing advice on specific programs or to specific student groups
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Academic Advisor
Assistant to HEO
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY’s benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates must attach a resume, cover letter, and three professional references (name, title, organization, and contact information).
For technical issues:
Contact the service desk by email: email@example.com. If you can, provide screenshots. Please do not provide your User Account password; it is not needed to investigate any issue.
For other questions:
For questions about the content of any job posting, please contact the Human Resources department: Recruiting@lehman.cuny.edu.
March 22, 2018
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.