About Orange Coast College (OCC)
Orange Coast College's 164-acre campus is located in Costa Mesa just minutes from Southern California's beautiful beaches. Founded in 1947, with classes beginning in 1948, OCC has grown into one of the nation's largest -- and finest -- community colleges, enrolling more than 25,000 students each semester. OCC's has an unwavering commitment to equitable outcomes; inclusive practices; and rich racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity. Ideal candidates for this position share OCC's devotion to educating and improving the lives of our representative student, employee, and community populations. We currently enroll 21,498 students, the majority of whom are from racially minoritized populations: 35% of OCC's students are Latinx, 2% are African- American, 23% are Asian, less than 1% Native American, 31% are White, and 6% are multiracial. OCC engages in a variety of professional development opportunities and partnerships so that we can serve disproportionately impacted groups. Student-centered activities that support OCC's mission include campus-wide student success projects funded by the Office of Student Equity; partnerships with local Hispanic Serving four year institutions; active programs that work to improve the academic achievement of racially minoritized students, such as PUENTE and UMOJA; Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS) and Disabled Student Program and Services (DSPS).
Administrative Assistants perform specialized administrative support duties to administrative projects, workflow, and support activities for an office and related functions. This position reports to the President's Office and provides support duties to the Senate (i.e. Academic Senate).
Distinguishing Career Features
Administrative Assistants require the ability to provide administrative support requiring competencies such as but not limited to, the ability to carry out projects that involve data from other departments and sites, and research and gather for reports and special studies. The Administrative Assistant classification also requires the ability to research and review records for compliance, due process, reimbursements, and external reporting.
The Administrative Assistant is part of a multi-level career path for administrative support. Advancement to the next level of Administrative Assistant I is based on need, requires compliance with the job qualifications and the ability to provide support to administrative committees, official proceedings, and processes requiring a higher level of specialization and reporting relationship and provide varied and difficult support to business and academic processes, usually reporting to a senior level administrator and coordinating workflow among other support staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Performs administrative support involving administrative, technical, and logistics services. Applies working knowledge of the functions, policies, and procedures of the division/ department, as well as those having implications to other functions.
* Interprets and conveys policies and procedures, referring difficult or sensitive matters to an administrator. Responds to inquiries and conveys information about programs and services provided by the organizational unit.
* Organizes work by researching and setting up business and academic calendars and cycles, then establishing and sequencing deadlines and/or timelines for projects, activities, and required submissions.
* Provides support to, and may coordinate departmental projects and events, integrating them with ongoing work routines. Projects and events include but are not limited to compliance and performance reporting, enrollment and transfer processes, etc.
* Collects, updates and maintains data and files, such as those used in special student programs, and other processes where there are information privacy considerations. Reviews and enters data using established data entry screens and formats.
* Provides administrative support to special processes including, but not limited to, committees and special subject group meetings. Prepares forms, revisions, and final documents to support proceedings.
* Takes notes and prepares Senate meeting recollections. Prepares from rough drafts or instructions a variety of materials such as letters, memoranda, reports, and statistical data. Composes original correspondence and forms on routine department matters.
* Researches and may prepare requisitions and claims for reimbursable services. Initiates communications to resolve, invoice, purchase order, and contractual matters with vendors, government agencies, and other service providers.
* Assists an administrator or designee with personnel-related transactions such as those for tracking leaves, time and attendance, and employing part-time and temporary staff. May assist or coordinate on-boarding of new hire employees.
* Schedules appointments and arranges meetings. Prepares schedules and informs participants, confirming dates and times. May make travel reservations.
* Prepares documents on behalf of the administrator such as but not limited to, agreements and contracts for services, performance appraisals, proceedings, and reports used by and/or provided by the division. Processes documents for approval.
* Assists one or more administrators with developing organization unit budget proposals, maintaining communications with work sections on status and information needs. Researches and identifies reimbursable services.
* Maintains department-approved budgets, transaction records, and audit trails, including those for projects and grant-funded activities.
* Researches and may reconcile expenditures and initiates budget allocation changes and reassignments of funds to and from various accounts, working with accounting staff to ensure compliance with business practices and regulations.
* May collect cash, reconcile and balance departmental financial accounts.
* May update content to the Senate web pages as approved by the supervisor.
* Performs other related duties as assigned that support the objective of the position.
* Required to abide by all District policies and procedures including Board Policy 3050 â Code of Professional Ethics.