Lab Assistant (9602C) - 16252
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The California Institute for Quantitative Biosciences (QB3) is a cooperative effort between the state of California, private industry, venture capital, and the University of California campuses at Berkeley, San Francisco and Santa Cruz. In order to stimulate discovery at the intersection of physical and biological sciences, QB3 promotes multidisciplinary research at world-class facilities, creates innovative educational programs, and fosters industry partnerships.
The Laboratory Assistant III position in QB3's Vincent J. Coates Proteomics/Mass Spectrometry Laboratory provides support for the research and technical services provided by the facility. The Laboratory Assistant will perform standard molecular biology/biochemistry procedures and standard operation of the mass spectrometers.
- The mass spectrometers are highly sensitive, extremely technical instruments.
- Must be capable of mastering an initial intensive training for specialized laboratory tasks.
- The LAIII will assist in routine, day-to-day, standard tasks, working independently but under guidance, and following established protocols.
- Maintain stocks, supplies and reagents for the laboratory, including preparation of mass spec columns and chemical solutions.
- Maintain lab environment, including cleaning lab spaces.
- Routine operation of mass spectrometers.
- Troubleshoot, based on standard protocols.
- Prepare proteomics samples using standard protocols.
- Basic biology, chemistry and biochemistry courses, pipetting skills, creating molar solutions, performing dilutions.
- Must be able to work flexible part-time shift work hours during pandemic.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Two years of college, including courses in biology/chemistry, and two years of laboratory experience; and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with mass spectrometry, familiar with or has the ability to quickly learn UCB laboratory safety procedures.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is $23.29, Step 2.0.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a 4-month, part-time, 20-hours per week, Limited (temporary) position. Shift hours may vary from week to week.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Technical Unit (TX) between the University of California and the University Professional and Technical Employees (UPTE). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at:
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=16252&PostingSeq=1