In this position you will be a recognized leader within University Facilities. You are a strategic thinker who is highly proficient in developing strategies, setting goals and allocating resources. In this position, you must be process minded, a strong communicator and customer focused as you will be interacting with all level of employees and management. This role will allow you to create innovative solutions to complex issues. You will interact professionally with all members of the University community as well as external contractors, design professionals, regulatory agencies, state and federal representatives and the public. This position will report to the Director of Facilities Operations and be assigned to lead a large, multi-disciplinary team. To learn more about our Facilities Department, please visit https://www.buffalo.edu/administrative-services/managing-facilities.html.
- The Assistant Director of Utilities is responsible for management across a multi-functional unit comprised of the Heating Plants, Chilled Water Plants, Downtown Utilities Plants, Building Controls Shops, Off-Hours Customer Service, Outside Equipment and other operational groups as assigned. The incumbent will also lead, direct and coordinate capital projects, manage outside contractors to provide necessary services, serve as the campus energy management representative, and other pertinent responsibilities.
- This position will lead, direct, and provide technical expertise and guidance to the operational groups managed on a continual basis. Incumbent must be available and able to manage and respond to off-hour situations and effectively manage and direct the activities of 24/7/365 staff and operations. This position leads and directs the operations of essential personnel required to respond and react to a variety of emergency/urgent situations acting in a remote working, or on-site capacity as situations dictate.
- This position will report to the Director of Facilities Operations and coordinate with the other Assistant Directors to meet the short and long-term goals of the department.
- Provide leadership to a large staff of FTE. Ensure departmental actions and goals align with the Facilities mission and strategic direction. Provide senior management to a diverse operations group and development opportunities, coaching and recognition to staff. Review or write performance appraisals; oversee monitoring of time and attendance. Ensure appropriate staffing levels and cross-training to provide uninterrupted service to customers. Manage departmental budgets, utility budgets, assets and authorize appropriate purchases.
- Identify areas of potential improvement for team members and encourage them to take advantage of available training resources for advancement.
- Manage projects and contribute to committees or team work. Participate in training opportunities, including helping to develop, train and share knowledge with others. Serve on various committees. Conduct special projects as deemed necessary.
- Continuously review, implement and modify internal policies, procedures and processes to (a) improve efficiency, accuracy and standardization of internal operations, analyses and reports; (b) align and integrate budgeting, accounting and procurement functions and records; (d) ensure compliance with State and campus directives and (e) reduce financial loss and risk.
- Review and process campus-wide notifications to ensure clarity and accuracy for the campus community. Responsible to be available and coordinate after-hours communications and social media relations.
- Become proficient with work order management system, and lead improvement initiatives for reporting and operational efficiency.
- Manage the generation of internal and external reports, registrations and certifications.
- Initiate and direct the hiring process as provided by Human Resources, for filling vacant positions.
- Engage with employees of the department to create a culture of inclusion and teamwork.
- Complete other job-related duties as assigned.
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit – all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages.
The University at Buffalo is SUNY’s most comprehensive public research university, and an outstanding place to work. UB amplifies ambition for faculty and staff by offering endless possibilities to achieve more. Here, people from all backgrounds and cultures challenge and inspire each other to discover, learn and succeed. Dedicated staff and engaged faculty collaborate to further knowledge and understanding, and develop tenacious graduates who are valued for their talents and their impact on global society. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and 5 years of directly relatable experience.
1 year of experience in a managerial role in a utility production environment.
Excellent written and oral communication skills, and a strong desire to work as a member of a team.
A Bachelor’s Degree in a closely related field and 5 years of directly relatable professional experience. Demonstrated knowledge, skills and abilities for effective management and technical mastery of the areas to be managed.
Demonstrated working knowledge of utility operations, plumbing/steam, electricity, building system controls, HVAC/refrigeration, mechanics, energy management, building envelope, and building automation systems. Experience working in a large complex facility environment. Demonstrated managerial skills in a unionized environment. Experience working in a higher education setting.
The ideal candidate will be someone that is dependable, organized, strategic, flexible with work tasks, detail-oriented, and is an effective manager. The preferred candidate should be an individual that strives to build teamwork and has a strong desire to coach employees to succeed. Supervisory skills and demonstrated ability to manage and motivate a team of technical tradespersons and supervisors including the ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. Experience managing a major department or unit’s staffing needs. Management and administrative skills, particularly the ability to set priorities and objectives within broad policy, law and sound practice, manage a large department’s resources, policies and budget, initiate actions to accomplish a major department’s objectives, resolve complex and difficult problems when facts and information for a resolution may not be available or are conflicting.
Exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills, as well as verbal and written communication skills, are required. This person must use persuasive influence in delicate negotiating situations, operate independently making decisions and taking actions as warranted by the operations of the department.
The ability to assess and inspect repairs and maintenance, and read and understand construction documents, building code manuals, and other similar documents is required.
Supervisory skills and demonstrated ability to manage and motivate team personnel and supervisors including the ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. Management and administrative skills, particularly the ability to develop and manage a budget, as well as, analyze, organize, plan, and delegate, are required.
The physical demands for this position are those of typical office duties as described in the Position Summary. Individual must be able to manage and respond to off-hour situations and effectively manage and direct the activities of 24/7/365 staff and operations. This position leads and directs the operations of essential personnel required to respond and react to a variety of emergency/urgent situations acting in a remote working, or on-site capacity as situations dictate.