Laboratory Assistant (9603C) - 27406
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 16, 2019
Physics at Berkeley is home to faculty who are devoted to scientific discovery and the teaching of future physicists and students, both undergrad and grad, who come to learn and participate in cutting-edge research. The department has the full spectrum of scientists and has growing programs in: biophysics, quantum physics, atomic physics and quantum technologies.
Our physics department is one of the world's best and attracts over 7000 students from all over the world. In addition, post-docs and visitors, as well as staff, contribute to the vibrant life of this department.
Our mission is to expand the frontiers of fundamental physics research, to educate the next generation of scientific and educational leaders, and to produce an impact on the community commensurate with the distinguished history and tradition of Physics at Berkeley. We bring together diverse and excellent faculty, students, staff and researchers with a universal dedication to upholding the highest standards of scholarship, teaching, and service.
- Purchase laboratory supplies.
- Help with animal husbandry activity for mouse colonies.
- Following standard procedures to prepare tissue sample and perform immunohistology.
- Perform standard, repetitive surgical procedures on mice, including injecting compounds, virus injections into the brain, and craniotomy (drill a mm-diameter hole in the skull and replace it with a glass window).
- Following standard procedures to assist with behavior experiments.
- Laboratory and/or field experimental procedures that require technical scientific knowledge and skills expected from incumbent who has acquired equivalent knowledge and skills through experience in a laboratory environment.
- Experience with standard neurobiological techniques such as histology, surgery, and animal husbandry.
- Experience with fluorescence microscopy.
Salary & Benefits
- Laboratory experience in a neurobiology research laboratory.
- Highly skilled in histology, animal surgery, and animal husbandry.
- Experience with writing lab protocols and maintaining animal husbandry database.
- Experience with lab management tasks.
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Technical Unit (TX) between the University of California and the University Professional and Technical Employees (UPTE). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at:
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27406&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1