Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Veterinary Technician I -Inpatient Medicine
The Henry and Lois Foster Hospital for Small Animals provides 24-hour care for pets 365 days of the year. Since 1979, we have offered high quality medical care, consultation, referral, and emergency veterinary services for the care of dogs, cats and exotic pets. In addition, the hospital creates a positive learning experience for TCSVM students and student technicians regarding small animal medicine.
What You'll Do
Under the direct guidance of a senior veterinary technician or veterinarian the Inpatient Medicine Veterinary Technician I is responsible for providing high quality nursing care and performing basic technical skills and procedures on a variety of patients.
As part of our highly competitive benefits package, we offer a liberal continuing education allowance and tuition reimbursement program to all technicians employed in Foster Hospital for Small Animals in order to promote personal and professional growth.
The Inpatient Medicine Veterinary Technician is considered an essential employee within the hospital and the schedule may include providing University and calendar holiday coverage on a rotating basis.
As a Vet Tech I, Inpatient Medicine you will:
- Monitor, manage and implement treatment plans as ordered by clinicians to insure prompt delivery of high-quality care to inpatient, acute care, exotic and isolation cases.
- Collaborate with administrative and clinical care team members throughout the hospital to coordinate and prioritize patient care in a high-volume environment.
- Identify and communicate changes in patient condition to members of the patient care team.
- Complete diagnostic testing as ordered by clinicians including bench-top lab tests.
- Maintain adequate inventory of medical supplies and pharmaceuticals.
- Handle control substances according to written SOPs as required.
- Clean and maintain clinical areas including treatment and patient housing areas.
- Facilitate the maintenance of clinical equipment by identifying malfunctioning equipment and scheduling service.
- Instruct veterinary students and student technicians in all technical aspects of patient care.
- Assist in studies and projects as needed including treating research/laboratory animals.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor and assistant supervisor including
Our Inpatient Medicine team is currently seeking an individual to fill an overnight or evening schedule
What We're Looking For
- High school diploma (or the equivalent) and at least one year of related experience.
- Familiarity with medical terminology, veterinary pharmacology, and animal behavior.
- Ability to restrain small animals in a safe, compassionate manner.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with co-workers, clinicians, students, staff, and clients.
- Enthusiastic, genuine, empathetic, and self-motivated professional with a positive, upbeat attitude.
- Pride in and commitment to maintaining hospital floor and front lobby areas.
- Basic computer skills including the ability to learn the electronic medical record system.
- Ability to lift to 50 lbs. with or withaout accommodation.
Required technical skills include:
- Safely restrain all species treated in the hospital.
- Assess the attitude and responsiveness of patients being treated.
- Obtain vital signs, including temperature, pulse, respiration, and capillary refill time.
- Phlebotomy and catheter placement
- Dosage calculations for oral and injectable medications
- Fluid therapy monitoring
- Ability to administer oral, subcutaneous, intramuscular, and intravenous medications.
- . Demonstrated ability to instruct students, as determined by student feedback.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and electronic medical record systems
- Be able to independently initiate steps to perform CPR in absence of an attending veterinarian.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. with or without accommodation.
- Successful completion of a NAVTA-approved Veterinary Assistant Program
- Credentialed as a Certified Veterinary Assistant
- One or more years’ experience as a Veterinary Assistant in a veterinary hospital
- Exotic animal handling skills. Exotic animals include birds, rabbits, ferrets, guinea pigs, rodents, special small mammals (such as chinchillas or hedgehogs), reptiles, and amphibians.
Minimum $21.80, Midpoint $25.95, Maximum $30.10
Salary is based on related experience, expertise, and internal equity; generally, new hires can expect pay between the minimum and midpoint of the range.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |