Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Student Loan Counselor
Student Loan Counselor
295-Office of Financial Assistance
The Student Loan Counselor is responsible for activities related to the administration and management of the Federal Direct Loans and Alternative Loans and assist with the processing and management of the Federal Perkins, Federal Nursing and Nurse Faculty Loan programs. This position is responsible for certification, origination and transmittal of electronic loan data files to the US Department of Education and external agencies. This individual will also supervise the process through which loans are disbursed. This individual is responsible for the monthly and annual reconciliation of the Federal Direct, Federal Direct PLUS and Federal Direct Grad PLUS programs and assist with the annual reconciliation and reporting of the Federal Perkins, Nursing, and Nurse Faculty Loan programs. This individual coordinates, with the Bursar's Office, the return of funds to lenders, and makes all adjustments to the institutional database. This individual will serve as the primary contact for all requests from lenders, servicers, borrowers, and guarantors. This individual will also coordinate the required entrance, exit interviews and Truth-In-Lending (TILA) processes required of borrowers as well as assist in the development of publications or web based programs related to default prevention and fiscal responsibility. The individual will also assist in the review, verification and awarding of undergraduate and graduate files. This individual will oversee that Title IV and private funds are returned in a timely manner.
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform the necessary steps to electronically certify, export and import all new loans and loan changes made to the Federal Direct Loan programs for graduate, undergraduate and parent loans. Oversee the disbursement of these federal funds to the student accounts ensuring that all student eligibility requirements are met and in compliance with federal regulations. Responsible for the monthly and annual reconciliation of the Federal Direct Loan Program. Coordinate with the Bursars Office the return of funds to the federal lender in cases where the borrower eligibility has changed or ceased to exist. Review the electronic and paper publications to ensure accurate information is provided regarding the federal loan and private loan program information. Assist in the set up and processing of Federal Perkins, Nursing and Nurse Faculty Loans as well as processes related to the transmission of data to UAS including assistance with TILA and E-sign processing.
- Counsel students and parents regarding the disposition of loan applications and disbursements, and serve as the point of contact for all lenders and servicers relating to federal and alternative/private loan products.
- Participate in the certification, transmittal and disbursement of alternative loans. Coordinate with the Bursars Office the return of funds to lenders in cases where original borrower eligibility has changed or ceases to exist. Make all necessary adjustments to institutional database and communicate changes to lenders/servicers via electronic or paper transmittal.
- Assist in the review, verification and awarding of need and non-need based financial aid awards. Assist in the review and preparation of financial aid appeals.
- Assist with the annual review of alternative loan lenders and their products. Maintain the web site and paper publications to ensure the University is in compliance with federal regulations as they relate to this matter.
- Coordinate all activities related to borrowers completion of required entrance and exit interviews, either paper or web-based. Assist in the development of materials, paper and web-based, related to default prevention and fiscal responsibility. Coordinate activities related to the distribution of information required by TILA.
- Assist in the sign-off of BISK/UA refunds and assist in the review of other reports, as necessary, for graduate and undergraduate on-line programs.
- Perform other duties and assist with projects as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree required.
- Minimum of two year of experience (three years preferred) in financial aid administration or student loan processing in an automated environment and advanced skill on COD and NSLDS. Experience in the student loan lending industry may be considered comparable experience. Experience with SCT Banner and/or PHEAA loan processing is a plus. Experience with a loan servicer such as ACS, UAS, ECSI a plus.
- Knowledge of regulations related to the administration of federal and state financial aid programs. General knowledge of office principles and procedures. Knowledge of accounting principles required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; strong organizational and interpersonal skills required. Attention to detail. Must be able to work independently and display the ability to work well under pressure. Experience with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Access. Also possess an understanding of file transmission in a UNIX platform.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours
- Experience with Institutional Methodology, IDOC and College Board services.
General Office work; some weekend and evening work required.
Special Message to Applicants
All applications must be submitted online.
Closing Date (12am ET):
Open Until Filled:
Salary Posting Information:
Commensurate with experience.
To apply, visit: https://jobs.villanova.edu/postings/14892
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values. Villanova University is committed to providing leadership in the attainment of equal employment for all individuals. It is the policy and practice of Villanova University to recruit and select applicants on the basis of their qualifications and abilities. This effort is in compliance with all federal and state laws, including Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1975, Executive Order 11246, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |