WorkFit Fitness Instructor (4128U) - 20030
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 7, 2021
*This is a continuous recruitment with multiple openings. Posting will remain open until filled.
Cal Recreational Sports is dedicated to enhancing the knowledge, wellness, fitness and quality of life for students, faculty, staff and the community. In addition to the 27 sport clubs and 600 intramural sports teams, the department offers a wide range of recreational activities and state of the art equipment, including a complete package of fitness activities, from individual and group classes to massage therapy and personal training.
For more information, visit recsports.berkeley.edu Check out our video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=85&v=W8pckeDe-AY
- Provides advanced or specialized activity instruction to program participants, individually or in groups.
- Maintains a safe and supportive environment for program participants and facilitate involvement.
- Enforces departmental policies and procedures.
- Interacts with recreational program participants in a positive and professional manner.
- Tracks client progress and personal administrative records (time keeping, internal communications, client records, etc).
- Keeps current on teaching methods, techniques and skills through continuing education.
- Participates in required professional development activities.
- Previous experience with instruction of fitness and recreation programs.
- Previous experience working with age level specific to an activity.
- Advanced knowledge of program activity practices and procedures.
- Client service minded entrepreneurial spirit and creative thinking.
- Service orientation, program management, sound judgment and decision-making, critical thinking, develop original ideas, creative problem solving skills in a varied and challenging environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication in the English language, active listening, dynamic flexibility, critical thinking, multi-task and time management skills.
- Must be able to work effectively, across all organization levels, internally and externally.
- Must have highly effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic Computer knowledge.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn campus policies and procedures.
- Current certification with one of the following organizations: NASM, ACSM, NSCA or ACE for Strength Training Classes or current certification within your field of practice.
- Adult CPR/ AED Certified
- First Aid Certified is highly preferred.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a one-year, part-time, up to 4-hours per week, Contract position with an opportunity for renewal.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=20030&PostingSeq=1