Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Facilities Coordinator - ASUC Student Union (5194U) 23898
University of California, Berkeley
Facilities Coordinator - ASUC Student Union (5194U) 23898
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The ASUC (Associated Students of the University of California) Student Union is the administrative & advising support arm of the ASUC Student Government and is a department within the Division of Student Affairs. It serves all students and seeks to create an inclusive campus community, thereby enhancing the student experience at UC Berkeley. To this end, we provide quality services and programs that foster experiential learning opportunities and ensure a sustainable organization. With direction from the ASUC Student Union Board, we derive income from student fees, retail operations, vending, food service, and a variety of self-operated units such as the Art Studio and Events Services. In addition, the ASUC Student Union provides student group advising services, leadership opportunities, and student development programs through the LEAD Center.
We manage and operate multiple facilities including the Lower Sproul Student Union Complex, Anthony Hall and Anna Head Alumnae Hall, which house the ASUC student government, Graduate Assembly, Multi- Cultural Center, Public Service Center, the Art Studio, student organization offices, and much more. Finally, we provide financial and accounting services to approximately 25 ASUC Government Officers, Graduate Assembly Executive Officers, and over 1,300 student groups and 40 student publications.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: September 23, 2021
BUILDING SAFETY AND SECURITY:
- Coordinates, monitors and tracks all maintenance, custodial, grounds, and other service requests by campus Facilities Services as well as other outside vendors or organizations for assigned facilities, including moving along the completion of maintenance work and the ongoing status of individual service requests.
- Liaison for building repairs and maintenance at Student Union facilities spaces.
- Provides direct support to the ASUC Student Union FMO Facilities Supervisor or Director in all matters related to capital improvement projects for all Student Union facilities spaces.
- In conjunction with the SU FMO Team, maintain accurate furniture, equipment, and facility infrastructure inventory and building operation protocols.
- Coordinates maintenance and repair of departmental fleet vehicle and equipment.
- Works with CSS-IT, IS&T, and outside contractors to record, maintain and repair department and residents voice and data networks, telecom catalogue service requests, voice line equipment, and building audio video equipment.
- Acts as department equipment custodian through the equipment tracking system(s) and conducts department inventory controls, including processing and maintaining records of equipment insurance requests.
- May act as Building Coordinator for campus emergency/ disaster preparedness for assigned venues, serves as the communication liaison between campus service agencies and building occupants, and prepares building response plans and coordinates education and planning in this area for all building occupants.
- May serve as the communication liaison between campus service agencies and building occupants, and prepares building response plans and coordinates education and planning in this area for all building occupants.
- Schedule and conducts monthly and regular periodic rounds to inspect areas for security, fire and accident hazards.
- Maintains exceptional standards of operations and takes appropriate action as required, including reporting infractions of fire and building codes, building rules and other building irregularities to management.
- May act as representative of campus safety committee, campus building emergency committee, and campus ergonomic program, and is responsible for departmental compliance with OSHA/EH&S regulations regarding state and campus policies and procedures, and works to implement safety and emergency preparedness policies and procedures with staff, including maintaining first aid supplies, fire extinguishers and other safety equipment. Serves as Assistant Building Coordinator.
- May serve as Department Access Controller for hard key and card key requests with UC Police Department (UCPD).
- Will provide on-call building resident and visiting client support, incident response and de-escalation action planning.
- Acts as department representative for department/campus special projects related to Student Union facilities.
- May support the Facilities Supervisor or Director in coordinating and managing capital improvement projects with campus Construction & Design (C&D) and may participate in committees and/or meetings concerning capital improvements to ASUC Student Union facilities.
- May work with onsite contractors and other vendors to coordinate work schedules, facilitate emergency access, and track progress of related trade work.
- May organize scope of work for small scale renovation projects, coordinates bid- walks. Consults with the Facilities Supervisor or Director to establish contracts, schedule and supervise contractors, develops punch lists and completes project close out.
- May work directly with residents and students in various project development, identifying opportunities for funding, securing funding, and point of contact with C&D for project completion. Reviews facility project drawings or plans and reports building need compliance, errors or omissions to management, organization personnel, and outside contractors.
- Acts as department representative for department / organization special projects related to department facilities.
- Works with building residents for space planning, operational support projects, and programmatic planning and logistics.
- Purchases small building maintenance equipment, custodial supplies, and other facility related supplies and materials.
- May assist with reviewing project drawings or plans and reports building compliance issues, errors or omissions to Facilities Supervisor or Director, campus personnel, and outside contractors.
- Assists in development of annual facilities budget. Purchases from Campus or Departmental blanket contracts (purchase orders). Reviews proposals, awards work authorizations, inspects work and submit for payment authorization. Verifies associated recharge activity.
- Gather data from various campus systems to create pivot tables and space layout sheets in preparation for creating facilities and preventative maintenance tracking and controls.
- Purchases supplies, conducts bid proposals and supervises small-scale department renovation projects.
- Assist with recruiting, hiring, training student staff. Ensure continuity and consistency with student employee programming and development, and train student staff for information desk and building attendant positions. Shift supervision of FMO student employees.
- Working knowledge of practices and procedures relating to facility maintenance and operational support.
- Written communication skills to prepare a variety of correspondence, reports, policies and procedures, and training documents.
- Skills to work under pressure of deadlines in a stressful environment.
- Active listening, interpersonal communication and problem-solving skills to effectively resolve questions, concerns, issues or problems and ensure cooperative and productive working relationships.
- Skills to work independently and as part of a team.
- Working organizational skills to work on multiple projects with competing deadlines, to establish goals and work load priorities, and to meet project deadlines within budget and time constraints.
- Working knowledge of practices and procedures of safety and emergency preparedness.
- Working knowledge & experience leading student staff.
- Demonstrated Conflict Resolution and/or De-escalation experience
- Demonstrated Customer Service experience
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time, career position which covers various shifts, 7 days a week.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=23898&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |