University Facilities Design & Construction Department seeks an experienced construction professional to serve as the superintendent on the job site, and to manage the on-campus renovation and new build of multiple, critical projects simultaneously.
The Construction Manager will be responsible for:
- Complete coordination and scheduling of union foreman and outside contractors for on-time projects, safety assurance, and management of construction quality.
- Oversight of material procurement and contractor performance in conjunction with Project Manager to ensure compliance with contract documents.
- Issuing frequent updates on construction progress to project team including labor and material costs, schedule, and open issues.
- Coordinating as-built drawings throughout construction; Work with Project Manager to complete turnover, O&M training, and closeout efforts.
- Coordinating support from University Facilities internal trade shops and third-party inspections as they relate to the renovation and critical maintenance projects.
- Serves as a subject matter expert that can interpret policy as needed and provide advanced direction and support to the organization.
- Organizing other State agencies such as the State University Construction Fund (SUCF), SUNY, The Office of General Services, private consultants, suppliers, and contractors as needed throughout the project life cycle.
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit – all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages.
The University at Buffalo is SUNY’s most comprehensive public research university, and an outstanding place to work. UB amplifies ambition for faculty and staff by offering endless possibilities to achieve more. Here, people from all backgrounds and cultures challenge and inspire each other to discover, learn and succeed. Dedicated staff and engaged faculty collaborate to further knowledge and understanding, and develop tenacious graduates who are valued for their talents and their impact on global society. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
A Bachelor’s degree with two (2) years of experience or Master’s degree or professional certification with no experience required.
Five (5) years of experience as a construction superintendent, or seven (7) years of experience managing construction in a similar environment strongly preferred. Completion of coursework and continued maintenance of OSHA 30, PMP, and/or CCM Certification is also preferred. A strong aptitude for problem solving is critical. Excellent organizational skills related to construction, operation, and maintenance is desired. Thorough knowledge of architectural and engineering planning methods, practices, and procedures. In addition, the position requires excellent verbal, and written communication skills for report writing, conducting project evaluations, and schedules. Proven ability to read and understand construction documents. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively is essential.
Experience in project estimating, writing, creating and maintaining construction schedules, coordinating with subcontractors, managing a project budget and pace, and project communications including RFIs, change orders, meeting minutes, and labor forecasts. Ability to prioritize construction work across projects and implement the most efficient use of available labor.