Human Resources Coordinator (7595U) - Statistics Department
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The Statistics Department, in the Division of Computing, Data Science, and Society (CDSS), was originally established in 1938 as the first center in the country for statistical research. Since its inception, graduates and faculty of Berkeley have shaped the foundations of statistics. The department continues to be recognized as one of the preeminent centers for Probability and Statistics in the world. The department places a strong emphasis on research through partnerships working with institutions and industry partners that include; LBNL (Lawrence Berkeley National Lab), the Sloan Institute, the Simons Institute, the Berkeley Institute for Data Science (BIDS), Google, Microsoft, Citadel, State Street, Genentech and departments such as; Bioengineering, Biostatistics, Economics, EECS
(Electrical Engineering & Computer Science), Demography, IB (Integrative Biology), Mathematics, MCB (Molecular & Cell Biology), and Physics.
The Statistics Department is comprised of 47 active faculty and emeritus faculty, 10 Lecturers, 200 ASE employees per semester, 130 graduate students, 450 undergraduate students, and 14 career staff positions. The faculty have a dizzying array of honors and awards including The National Medal of Science, the COPSS award (the Statistics Nobel'), and 6 members of the National Academy of Science. The department is highly attractive to Visiting Faculty, Visiting Scholars, Postdoctoral Scholars and students from around the world and currently enrolls 10,000 students in its courses annually.
The Human Resources (HR) Coordinator reports directly to the Director of Academic Personnel and Human Resources (AP/HR) for the Statistics Department. Under the direction of the Director of AP/HR , the HR Coordinator is responsible for the day-to-day human resources operations in the Statistics Department, including administering and coordinating human resources policies, programs and procedures such as recruitment, appointment, timekeeping, visa procurement, intercampus transfers, training and development, and welfare programs.
The HR Coordinator will also assist with academic personnel including academic recruitment, appointment, advancement, compensation and salary administration. This incumbent will directly be responsible for coordinating visiting academic appointments and other non-senate academic appointments, including student (ASE) appointments. This position is a unique opportunity for someone with strong HR Generalist knowledge and skills who would like to explore working in an academic unit and has an interest in developing skills in academic personnel under the guidance of a seasoned academic personnel professional.
The role of the HR Coordinator necessitates strong skills of diplomacy, discretion, good judgment, initiative and professionalism in regards to all HR processes and when interfacing with faculty, students and colleagues in general.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 11/2/21
50% HUMAN RESOURCES;
- Assists the Director of AP/HR with implementation and interpretation of policies and programs covering the following: compensation, salary administration, staff and student employee hiring, and staff and faculty welfare and benefits. Responsible for the day-to-day general HR operations for the department including the following:
- Assists the Director of Administration and department supervisors with the staff recruiting and hiring process. If needed, assists with screening resumes, arranging interviews, and sitting on interview committees for a variety of staff positions.
- Coordinates with ERSO staff to process staff career hires, status changes, service awards, separations, etc. Verifies entry of all employment information into UC Path and assists the Director of Administration with payroll reconciliation of all titles to ensure accuracy and policy compliance.
- Coordinates with the Director of Student Services to facilitate the appointment process for ASE titles (Readers, Tutors, and Graduate Student Instructors (GSIs). Assigns position numbers by entering them in ERSOs Intranet system, and tracks to completion for timeliness and accuracy.
- Responsible for all position management, funding entry and direct retros in UCPath. Maintains up to date database of department position information, assigns and updates position information as needed.
- Serves as the department timekeeper. Handles problems and questions related to CalTime and serves as a delegate for department work-study positions.
- Serves as the department HR liaison with the ERSO regional HR staff. Coordinates and submits all department AP/HR requests to ERSO via E-mail or Intranet. Tracks Intranet request and request via email and follows-up as needed with ERSO staff to ensure smooth workflow. Meets monthly or more often as needed with ERSO staff to review processes and policy updates, end date reports, and current worklist. Develops strong working partnership with other campus HR professionals including Divisional Dean's Office, BIO, OFEW, APO, and other department HR staff as needed and appropriate.
- Coordinates benefits advising, including directing department personnel to ERSO and Central HR Benefits advisors as relevant. Advises, and triages problems related to benefits issues including health, dental, vision. Oversees the processing of all necessary data to enroll, change or cancel benefits. Assists HR/AP Manager, Director of Administration and ERSO HR Partner as needed with work-related injuries and disability cases. Researches and analyzes policy and procedures.
40% ACADEMIC PERSONNEL
- Under the direction of the Director of AP/HR, assists with academic personnel actions including: recruitment, appointment, appraisal, merit review, change of status, sabbatical and other leaves, recalls for teaching and/or research, chairholder appointments, and separation.
- Assists Director of AP/HR with the Senate and non-senate academic review processes. Meets with the HR/AP Manager and Department Chair annually to review the preceding year's academic personnel case preparation process and to develop a case schedule and plan for coming year. Reconciles department's case list with the Dean's Office list. Assists faculty in preparing merit and promotion materials for cases. Reviews case documents for accuracy and compliance with campus and college policies.
- Assists Director of AP/HR, Chair, and Search Committee with all phases of senate and non-senate recruitments as needed including soliciting, preparing, submitting and tracking any necessary letters and reports, providing department with cost estimates for advertising, preparing recruitment ads, and submitting advertisements on-line for all available positions.
- Assists with all department non-senate appointments including Researcher, Specialist, Adjunct Professor, Lecturer, Postdoctoral, and Visiting titles. Serves as point of contact for the department for visitor and postdoc requests. Serves as point of contact for visa and permanent residency requests. Coordinates with ERSO HR staff and BIO to ensure all non-senate appointment, extension and other requests are completed. Submits summer sessions lecturer appointment requests.
5% Manages sensitive and confidential information. Ensures the processing and maintenance of department HR records, including annual audit of records, proper disposal, and comprehensive record keeping for both paper and electronic ecord keeping for both paper and electronic records. Assist with maintenance of AP records including sabbatical credits, leaves and course buy-outs, teaching and evaluation. Maintains non-academic staff personnel files for both permanent and temporary staff, directing documentation to BRS as relevant for permanent campus files. Maintains records of faculty and staff awards. Maintains historical records of department HR policies. Assists the Director of AP/HR as needed with coordinating faculty meetings, preparing meeting minutes and recording votes. Responds to internal and external surveys. Maintains all People website pages and mailing lists for the department. Completes special projects as needed.
5% Participates in career and professional training and development. Attends monthly divisional HR meetings.
- Basic knowledge of human resources policies and programs, and how they affect other organizational policies and procedures.
- Proficient in communicating clearly and effectively verbally and in writing , including tact and diplomacy and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Multicultural competencies; ability to work with diverse populations.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Thorough knowledge of campus and college goals, priorities and values and the legal and human implications of decisions. Has working knowledge of other areas of HR.
- Demonstrated organizational, analytical, planning, problem solving and project management skills.
- Thorough knowledge of system wide and campus policies, union contracts, procedures and practices that govern academic HR administration.
- Experience working with online HR/AP systems such as UCPath, CalCentral, APBears, and APRecruit.
- Excellent computer skills in MS Office, Box, and Google tools (campus versions are bMail, BCal).
- Demonstrated ability to handle difficult or volatile situations/individuals effectively.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
- Starting salary commensurate with experience.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=25770&PostingSeq=1