Located in Boston's historic Fenway area, Simmons has a strong tradition of empowering women and challenging traditional gender roles. Simmons University was one of the first higher education institutions to prepare women to become leaders and has evolved to become a university offering a women's undergraduate program and graduate programs open to all. Simmons vision is to become a beacon of leadership in the world of higher education; a resource to our nation and world; known for our expertise in fields which improve the human condition; sought out for the findings of our highly reputable research and seen as the global expert in educating women for their own empowerment and for leadership.
You're joining our community at an especially exciting time as one of our strategic goals is to
become the most inclusive campus in New England. You'll find that people who work here are truly committed to our mission of preparing students to become champions of social justice and leaders in their professions and their communities. This commitment and pride make for a dynamic workplace.
Simmons University is committed to inclusive excellence in all aspects of an individual's community experience. As a university that prioritizes diversity, equity, and inclusion, we encourage applications from all under-represented groups and are focused on inclusive hiring practices-at all levels, for all positions-ensuring diverse talent pools and the delivery of a consistent positive candidate experience. Simmons is an equal opportunity employer.
Simmons University is seeking a Senior Budget and Financial Analyst (SBFA) who will be responsible for a broad range of financial and budgetary functions and analysis, supporting the administrative business units of the organization. This role will be responsible for preparing annual budgets and mid-year forecasts, developing financial models, creation and distribution of management reports, financial analysis, along with various analytical projects.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President, Budget and Revenue Planning (AVP), the SBFA will work closely with senior administrators of the University to establish revenue and expense projections and monitor adherence to operating budget targets. This important position will function under limited supervision with broad latitude for decision-making and independent judgment, and have substantial fiscal responsibility to prepare, perform, and analyze fiscal and narrative reports for university budgets . Responsibilities also include special projects, requiring financial analysis, budget evaluation, and guidance for meeting fiscal management goals and objectives. This role will also serve as liaison to campus partner offices for budget inquiries, processing, and compliance such as Accounts Payable, Controller Office, and Payroll.
The University has numerous administrative and financial initiatives that provide an opportunity for deep financial analysis in support of management's goals. Simmons recently expanded the relationship with its online partner to deliver both graduate and undergraduate learning platforms; the One Simmons initiative involves significant re-investment in facilities including a new Science Center and also the planned construction of a Living and Learning Center consisting of 1,100 residential beds, a dining facility and athletics complex; and there is a need for continued careful management of institutional costs.
The Senior Budget and Financial Analyst will play a key role in supporting the AVP and the Chief Financial Officer, and in partnership with the Provost's Office, with insightful financial analysis, financial projections, and recommended actions. This role is a great opportunity for an individual who has experience working with senior stakeholders.
Data Analysis and Reporting
- Play key role in the annual budget process including reviewing data and preparing metrics and serving as the liaison with the Business Units for budget development
- Coordinate and implement department budget allocations;
- Collaborate with University business partners to offer advice and technical assistance with cost analysis, fiscal allocation and budget preparation and planning;
- Examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy and conformance with procedures and regulations;
- Conduct individual training sessions and/or provide individual consultation regarding unit level budget controls;
- Serve as liaison with Assistant Provost, and budgeting personnel, to manage adherence to budget for academic areas of the University in accordance with the fiscal year budget;
- Act as liaison with the Office of Payroll to align budgets with payroll expenses;
- Assist with processing of budget transfers in accordance with University fiscal policies.
- Perform highly analytical, complex finance and control functions; multi-dimensional and complex reconciliations and related analysis; prepare or review and approve complex transactions and higher level dollar value transactions.
- Research, and synthesize data; interpolate results from large amounts of data, identify trends in data, draw conclusions, develop solutions, present and implement recommendations, and create follow up analysis.
- Develop complex budget and forecasting scenarios, long-range planning and analyses for financial reporting and presentations; design and run ad hoc reports.
- Identify and resolve unique issues with substantial significance; recognize exceptions, and conduct in-depth analysis using advanced technical knowledge and experience. Recommend and develop solutions that may require policy changes or the development of new processes; maintain broader organizational and university perspective in decision making.
- Lead and execute unit or cross functional projects and teams, make decisions regarding projects and programs affecting operational effectiveness, policies, or processes.
- Engage in continuous critical analysis of existing systems and processes; make recommendations to achieve greater efficiencies and improve internal controls. Define requirements, develop and implement complex test cases, perform testing and analyze results.
- Lead and support unit and organization strategy and change management initiatives.
- Assess departmental and business needs, and formulate recommendations to determine approach to managing and completing processes.
- Assist with oversight of the user access for security within Workday financials;
- Assist with the management of the insurance programs (risk management) housed within the budget office;
- Attend meetings and represent the Budget Office on behalf of the director and/or in the director's absence;
- Other projects & assignments as assigned.
Required Application Materials:
Instructions to Applicants
- Bachelor's degree required;
- Minimum 5-7 years of relative professional experience with budget forecasting, planning and analysis including developing budget to actuals and variance analysis;
- Advanced proficiency in business applications, such as Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel;
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and maintain a productive and committed work effort, meeting deadlines and managing workload;
- Strong customer service skills, capability to interact with diverse groups and/or individuals at all levels within the organization;
- Advanced knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning and financial systems; internet and computer literacy.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Advanced professional communication skills, including ability to prepare materials for and clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences, and management.
- Strong project management skills and ability to contribute to or lead part of a multi-functional team.
- Exceptional quantitative and financial analytical skills, especially with financial projections and forecasting.
- Self-starter and demonstrated capability to gain the respect of others, influence people of varying levels of authority in multiple organizations, elicit cooperation without direct authority.
- Ability to handle confidential matters and interact with tact and diplomacy.
: Please upload all
applicable application materials (e.g. resume/cv, cover letter, writing sample, teaching philosophy, etc.) in the "Resume/CV" box on page 2 ("My Experience") of this application. Documents can be uploaded individually or as a combined document (e.g. PDF).
Simmons University is committed to inclusive excellence in all aspects of an individual's community experience. As a university committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, Simmons encourages applications from all under-represented groups. Simmons is committed to creating, developing, promoting, and enhancing inclusive hiring practices-at all levels, for all positions-ensuring diverse talent pools and the delivery of a consistent positive candidate experience. Simmons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to continuing to develop a more diverse faculty, staff, student body, and curriculum.
To apply, visit https://simmons.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Simmons-Careers/job/Main-Campus---Boston-MA/Senior-Budget-and-Financial-Analyst_R07255
Located in Bostons historic Fenway area, Simmons College is a small, private, non-sectarian College which has educated students for enriching careers and purposeful lives since 1899. Working at Simmons means joining a collaborative, diverse and mission-driven community of educators and professionals.
We prepare students to be leaders for themselves, their communities and the world. Our faculty and staff members lead by example - sharing a commitment to excellence and putting the students first.