Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Transit Driver (8486C), Parking & Transportation
University of California, Berkeley
Transit Driver (8486C), Parking & Transportation -
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 8, 2019
Campus Transit provides shuttle service to approximately 800,000 passengers, on an annual basis, and employs a staff of capable SAEOs, to assist with their transportation needs. This position requires individuals capable of safely operating and maintaining scheduled service on various routes. Individuals must be thoroughly familiar with a two-way radio communications system, as well as with FCC laws. The incumbent, in this position, will assist the Lead Operator, as necessary.
- Responsible for safely transporting passengers in various types of buses and vans, on scheduled routes, between BART and the Campus/Center for Shared Services (CSS) , Hearst Mining Circle and Space Science Labs, 2000 Carleton - ASUC - University Hall, inter-campus and/or intra-campus routes, as directed.
- Ability to operate automatic or manual transmissions.
- Availability to work additional hours, as needed, to cover illnesses, vacations, etc.
- Ability to understand, explain and operate within established time-frames and route schedules.
- Responsible for safely transporting passengers to/from UCB and various points in the Bay Area.
- Ability to read and understand maps and travel directions.
- Must know, enforce, and adhere to, and comply with all Federal, State and University regulations, which include safety policies.
- Responsible for operating two-way radios, per departmental and FCC regulations.
- Responsible to perform mechanical and administrative check-in and check-out procedures incidental to driving assigned vehicles.
- Responsible for completing required departmental forms, accurately and legibly.
- Ability to operate wheelchair mechanism, to assist disabled passengers, and be familiar with ADA passenger regulations, as they relate to transportation.
- Ability to handle emergency situations, according to university policies and procedures.
- Must have good working relationships with fellow workers.
- Fulfill other duties, such as: refueling, closing windows, sweeping and/or washing bus interior, as needed, disposing of refuse from vehicle used for the shift, in the appropriate manner and receptacle, and turning-in lost items.
- Performs other duties, as assigned by the Lead Driver, Transit Supervisor, or designee, as needed.
Salary & Benefits
- A valid Class A or B driver's license, with passenger endorsements and air brakes.
- A minimum of 5 years passenger driving experience, in vehicles 35-feet in length, or larger.
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills, to interact with diverse ridership.
- Ability to read, write legibly, and speak, in English, to understand passengers, give directions, properly execute safety protocol, interact with first-responders, and to write accident, incidents and safety, or other, reports.
- Ability to operate two-way radios and wheelchair lifts.
- A valid medical certification and good driving record reflecting no more than one (1) moving violation, in the immediate 24-month period, preceding application date.
- Ability to work independently.
- Availability, and flexibility, to be reassigned, or to fill-in for absent SAEOs, with minimum, or same-day, notification.
This is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. The hourly pay for this role, based on the Union negotiated pay scale, is $20.95 / Step 7.0 per hour.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required. National Safety Compliance reference check.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Service Unit (SX) between the University of California and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at:
This is a 100% variable appointment.
Employment is contingent upon passing a drug screen/physical exam.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27154&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |